IWI Galil ACE 7.62x51 ejects with authority

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

IWI Galil ACE 7.62x51 ejects with authority

Post by Limper »

I shot the Rio Salado Black Rifle match (multigun rules, rifle only match) today and on one stage you started by shooting a couple of steel at 300 yds through the holes in a barricade. After that you shot a few paper and then re engaged the 300 yard targets through the rear window of an old helicopter (see pic of stage description). When resetting the stage (taping paper/scoring) we discovered that one of the ejected casing was embedded (not lightly) in the wooden barricade.

The Galil is basically a refined AK, and all AKs generally chuck the brass pretty far. My rifle typically throws it at 1:00 around 14-15 yards. Figured I would share an amusing thing that happened at the range today.
Attachments
stage 3.jpg
casing 1.jpeg
casing 2a.jpg

smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: IWI Galil ACE 7.62x51 ejects with authority

Post by smithers599 »

I guess I don't want to be standing next to somebody else's ejection port. I would hate to have to pull a case out of my cheek or ear.
Limper

Post by Limper »

One more reason to always wear eye protection. Especially if the jerk next to you is shooting an obnoxiously ejecting firearm. "Ralphie don't stand next to him while he shoots. He'll put your eye out!"
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

This is why I want to find a Zastava M90NP to replace my Arsenal SLR106F. The adjustable gas regulator on the M90NP makes it shoot so soft, and also doesn't abuse or fling the brass very far. I've thought about getting a KNS adjustable gas piston for the Arsenal, but I prefer the original Zastava AR mag adapter to the Canis version I fitted to the 106F, so I'd rather just switch.
Limper

Post by Limper »

AZ 1182,

No problemo. Just not something you see everyday.

Suck My Glock,

The factory muzzle break works well and the recoil is very manageable. I would not call it soft, but comparable to my M1a. The Galil is not kind to the brass though. It sometimes deforms the mouth and every case gets a distinctive mark from slamming into the ejection port. I give the brass to one of my friends/fellow shooters who reloads them. He doesn't use them for anything precision but has no qualms or issues using them for short range blaster ammo.

The rifle is solid even if it isn't reloader friendly. I bought it in Jan 2018 and have put approx 3500 rounds through it since then. It is reliable, accurate, and competitive with the other .308 platforms. I have a Leupold LCO dot on it and successfully engage the longer range targets. Usually the long range steel in multigun is 300 - 400 yards but every so often they have a couple at 500ish yards. FYI, I run a 300 yard zero.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

That is some positive ejection. I've been eye balling those lately. Looks like a fun match too.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I've got a divot in my shooting glasses, left eye, dead center from a .380 ACP ejecting from a Sig P238 at Warp 3.

Always wear eye protection.