Lever Actions

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Longhair1957
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Lever Actions

Post by Longhair1957 »

I recently added two new levers, A Winchester ‘73 24” oct. sporting, pistol grip, .45 Colt. And a Winchester ‘92 24” oct. deluxe sporting pistol grip, .44 mag.
I got them just before everything went apeshit crazy. And on the watch for some other models.
Where did all the levers go? I want to know too! 😂😂😂 decided to rebuild my lever collection too late. Previous collection was sacrificed during the obamy years for AR’s.

TomI

Post by TomI »

I'm hoping Rugers acquisition of Marlin will help it all out. I for one am keeping my eyes on them. I would love to find a 38/357 for an all around fun gun. For me the Ar platform just doesn't have the soul of a lever gun.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Marlin fans everywhere are hoping the same
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

The 1892 that I bought, was because I had bought a marlin 1894 cowboy .44 mag, it was a pos and went Back to factory.
And I bought several years back a 1895 STAINLESS big loop model. It had a loose bolt. And a short chamber. Now back before REMLIN. You could buy any marlin lever and it worked.
I do like the Miroku better than y the he marlin anyways. Sure it was $1450 +tax. But it will be nice for my grandkids when I pass.
Last edited by Longhair1957 on December 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The Miroku Winchester's are really high quality. The older Browning B92s made by Miroku are really nice as well and lack the rebounding hammer and tang safety. I have 2 sets of consecutive SN Winchester 92 deluxe takedown Trappers one set in . 44 one set in . 357. While I don't like the tang safety and rebounding hammer it really doesnt detract that much. I Recently got a couple of the Miroku Winchester 73s one in . 44-40 and one in . 45 colt. They are also really nice and closer to an original than the 92s are. All are works of art in my opinion. Lever guns are hopefully a part of our history that continues on. Hopefully Ruger doesn't cheapen the Marlin but instead embraces the old world craftsmanship that made them a household name for over 100 years.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

grew up with them, and have a gaggle of them, mostly old winnies, and actually half dozen or more Marlins, some old, some not so old, try to shoot one or two a month, just cause, the 45.70 is my fav, it is loaded down some, but when that big boy hits the gong, its like the liberty bell sounding off.
enjoy the lever, or get out. :o
RJ
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

45-70 is also my favorite. I have a first year Marlin 1895 in 4570 with a shortened 16" barrel. My favorite is my 1886 Winchester's. You know your holding something with those. Everyone that shoots my 45-70s falls in love and wants one. When I'm out traveling the Marlin 1895 is my companion. Figure it's legal anywhere. 45-70 will dispatch about anything I shoot at and it's reliability is top notch.
oldmanpaintball

Post by oldmanpaintball »

humm maybe i’ll post my 1967 marlin for sale
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I’ve been wanting two that you guys have mentioned. Another 1886, and one of the little trapper takedown 1892. I do dislike the safety and the rebounding hammer. But, like you said. I just push mine into fire and leave it there
speelyei

Post by speelyei »

If you hunt on horseback, you can’t beat the slender shape of a lever action. I’ve got a Glenfield 30 with the partial length mag tube, its an extremely handy little rifle.