Henry FINALLY goes all-in

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Henry FINALLY goes all-in

Post by pneuby »

From their e-blast today....

By popular demand, we are excited to announce a total of 29 new models to include side loading gates on all of our steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles

8-)

Joe_Blacke

Re: Henry FINALLY goes all-in

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Interesting.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I would still rather have an old Marlin or Winchester.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

If it weren't for having already bought a threaded .38/.357 Marlin CST off a board member here last year, I'd be interested. But I love my CST.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

Yeah, but old good quality lever guns are hard to find. Glad to see Henry get with the times (140 years ago) and offer loading gates on all of their steel models.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

mtptwo wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:11 am Yeah, but old good quality lever guns are hard to find. Glad to see Henry get with the times (140 years ago) and offer loading gates on all of their steel models.
This. I haven't seen a nice Winchester Model 94 in a while.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

The only reason I dont have a Henry is no more.

Time to get a catalog.
https://www.henryusa.com/catalog/
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I may be the only one in the universe that was disappointed with my henry rifle. Shame too because it was a Grail gun and I lusted after it for years before finally seeing a sale I couldnt resist and bought EXACTLY the model I had been dreaming of.

Looks .. well it was an absolutely gorgeous rifle. Even more so in person so no complaints there but the first time out shooting and the bolt seemed to be hardened to hard or ?? but it just cracked and spilled the extractor and a few other pieces out on the table at the range. This was with regular old 158 gr Remington.

Good thing my wife noticed and I was able to rescue the parts but they couldnt be reinstalled. It was cracked.

No worries their CS was fast in sending me a ticket and I sent the rifle back and they installed a new bolt but It needed some additional work to make it smooth and when I pulled it apart I realized it has some type of split bolt system.

Now I am FAR from a lever action expert so it may be the system that is in all levers but basically the bolt is split and when you bring the lever into the firing position the two halves align allowing for the firing pin to operate. If the lever isnt completely closed the gun wont fire so it is designed as a safety feature.

There is a flimsy spring set up and truth be told .. I think I would have just preferred some external safety. The system is flimsy and finicky at best.

I never could get it to fire reloads reliably which meant it wasnt going to work for me. It fired factory each and every time and I put about 250 rds of factory through it without issue but I tried half a dozen different things on my reloads even going so far as to measure primer seating depth on each cartridge but .. It would fire about half and I wasnt going to go and seek out the perfect primer it might like.

Meanwhile 4 revolvers ate these same reloads round after round

I had a feeling that the weird split bolt spring system didnt allow for a more robust forward motion of the firing pin and that was the problem but I couldnt find a solution and sold it with the caveat to the buyer that it always shoots factory but I have had problems with reloads and even through in a box of factory.

I may have been able to throw money and parts at it but .. I stopped doing that ages ago. I Shouldnt have to spend money and time to make a new gun work.

It was a bummer. Maybe after the gun rush I will look for another 357 lever but the Henry which was my shinning star left me flat. Absolutely gorgeous but I dont buy guns to hang on the wall.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mrs. Flash has a Golden Boy that she loves.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have one of the Henry Rare Original Carbine, Brass Frame guns in 44-40 (The modern remake of the original Henry 1860) Its a great rifle and fairly true to the original other than the caliber. Of course the original Henry did not have a loading gate. This was one of the changes along with the enclosed magazine tube that Winchester did both improve the design of the 1860 and to beat the patents and ultimately screw Tyler Henry out of the gun business after becoming partners. Of course this Henry Repeating Arms company has nothing to do with Tyler Henry. My wife has one of the fancy Henry .22s with the rose on the receiver and its a sweetheart both looking and shooting. I also own a basic big loop Henry .22 as well. I think the original Henry .22 is based on the Iver Johnson and or Ithaca Lever guns of days gone by. A die cast receiver with a steel cover over it to make it look good. All 3 have been great rifles. Been Considering one of these new side loaders in 38-55. I like that it has the removable tube and side gate, makes unloading easier. I am disappointed to hear about your Troubles with the .357 Alex. That makes me wonder if you got a lemon or there is a design issue. Not sure what the Henry pistol caliber levers are based on.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i have a few, wanting some in pistol calibre but seem to miss them when they come up.
never an issue, had more issues with older marlins,

happy wed
rj
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

My daughter has a base Henry and just loves it. Someday I am going to buy her a really nice one.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

h8pvmnt wrote: November 25th, 2020, 11:48 am I have one of the Henry Rare Original Carbine, Brass Frame guns in 44-40 (The modern remake of the original Henry 1860) Its a great rifle and fairly true to the original other than the caliber. Of course the original Henry did not have a loading gate. This was one of the changes along with the enclosed magazine tube that Winchester did both improve the design of the 1860 and to beat the patents and ultimately screw Tyler Henry out of the gun business after becoming partners. Of course this Henry Repeating Arms company has nothing to do with Tyler Henry. My wife has one of the fancy Henry .22s with the rose on the receiver and its a sweetheart both looking and shooting. I also own a basic big loop Henry .22 as well. I think the original Henry .22 is based on the Iver Johnson and or Ithaca Lever guns of days gone by. A die cast receiver with a steel cover over it to make it look good. All 3 have been great rifles. Been Considering one of these new side loaders in 38-55. I like that it has the removable tube and side gate, makes unloading easier. I am disappointed to hear about your Troubles with the .357 Alex. That makes me wonder if you got a lemon or there is a design issue. Not sure what the Henry pistol caliber levers are based on.
Yea it was a drag. I looked at that damn gun for about 7 years before buying it.
I don't think it was the transfer bar .. I think it was the lever interlock safety. I even tried the pencil test which I know isn't exactly a measurable scientific approuch but it wouldn't clear the 16 in barrel. It barely moved in the barrel. Yet .. it fired every round of factory I put in it so .. it just could have been my reloads??

Never had a failure to feed even with 38's but .. my reloads were a no go. Just couldnt get them to pop
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Unless I was going to suppress the rifle, I could honestly go either way regarding tube v gate loading.

My Rossi 92 has the gate and I like it, but it scratches up my precious brass, and catches my thumb from time to time. It is easy to top off though.