calling all MAS 49 owners! lets chat!

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
SyLynSur
New to ArizonaShooting.org

calling all MAS 49 owners! lets chat!

Post by SyLynSur »

I have a 308 conversion from century, i know booooooooo.

But maybe I got lucky, as it seems to shoot and cycle fine. I know the barrells need to be scrubbed as the re finish was lazy and some got inside most of them.

My questions are what guns did century get? My guess is, the worst most BEAT TO s*** ones that the French were willing to let go, or whatever country they were last in? what countries did France sell surplus too?

anyway I love mine, got a really really good deal, found a ton of spare mags and also an original french accessory kit with a sling, I actually have an extra buttpad

ohh ya ive been having SUPER GOOD LUCK at wallmart with the 40 round nato packs for like 29.99? they always have a few on shelf..

knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: calling all MAS 49 owners! lets chat!

Post by knockonit »

LOL, all milsurps are a gamble to purchase via the interwebs, most coming in now will be the last of the hold outs, as the mas came in years and years ago, these are units that have been stashed in grandpas corner,
as long as it shoots, make it happen, most probably aren't purdae, but never heard anyone complain about being shot with a ugly gun :whistle:
Rj
SyLynSur

Post by SyLynSur »

knockonit wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:40 pm LOL, all milsurps are a gamble to purchase via the interwebs, most coming in now will be the last of the hold outs, as the mas came in years and years ago, these are units that have been stashed in grandpas corner,
as long as it shoots, make it happen, most probably aren't purdae, but never heard anyone complain about being shot with a ugly gun :whistle:
Rj
i got this one of armslist months ago, guy said it shot fine and I got to inspect it, but ya mail order is a "pick of a draw" but I kinda like it that way !
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Glad to read your .308 conversion is a shooter. Tried a Century decades ago that I was really hoping would work out, but alas....I got a turd.
MrTV

Post by MrTV »

I had a MAS49/56 .308 conversion back in the day, took a chance had no issues with it was a good shooter. I ended up trading it for a FN49 in 8mm to take advantage of milsurp round $.
Java Junkie
Banned
Banned

Post by Java Junkie »

I had a MAS49/56 .308 jamomatic. Need I say more?
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

49/56 turd-o-matic owner here.

Balks with anything put down the barrel.

Century seriously screwed these up (mostly). There are a number that work.
It's far more involved than Century getting a some finish in the chambers. If they run they're usually fine, but running on the edge. They all need an adjustable gas block. The ones that don't run are trying to extract under pressure still. They cut a bit too much off the barrel and got the gas block a hair too close.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I'm happy to hear got a shooter. Most of the 308 conversions were jamomatics. The 49 and 49/56 were my favorite foreign milsurps.