New to me MAK90

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
PWilliam
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New to me MAK90

Post by PWilliam »

Very very cool find!

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

That is one heck-of-a-find good for you!
I sold my MAK90 (milled receiver) last year for $975. Although I don't know the current market your straight cut should be worth similar.
I've seen that Chinese copper washed case- steel core fairly frequently the last couple years at pretty cheap prices too. It is a mild steel core - not armor piercing in the least and be careful shooting it where a fire could start- it will spark.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

Harrier wrote: July 11th, 2018, 3:36 pm That is one heck-of-a-find good for you!
I sold my MAK90 (milled receiver) last year for $975. Although I don't know the current market your straight cut should be worth similar.
I've seen that Chinese copper washed case- steel core fairly frequently the last couple years at pretty cheap prices too. It is a mild steel core - not armor piercing in the least and be careful shooting it where a fire could start- it will spark.
A persons eyes can be deceptive. Both the lead and steel core back then were copper washed. Both of which look identical, and both are magnetic. You can't go by looks and be precise with the conclusion. Only 1 way to be 100% certain, and that's to separate the bullet from the case and look at the base of the bullet.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I don't stop at many yard sales, but it's been a long time since I've seen any guns at a yard sale.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

AZGEEZER wrote: July 11th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Harrier wrote: July 11th, 2018, 3:36 pm That is one heck-of-a-find good for you!
A persons eyes can be deceptive. Both the lead and steel core back then were copper washed. Both of which look identical, and both are magnetic. You can't go by looks and be precise with the conclusion. Only 1 way to be 100% certain, and that's to separate the bullet from the case and look at the base of the bullet.
that may be true but a simple magnet test to the tip reveals a lot too. IIRC Norinco had a line of lead core that came out after the ban on steel core (I think- timeline kinda fuzzy). I don't recall if it was all copper washed or not, I think I still have a yellow box and a blue box of it stashed somewhere.
I have a spam can and some opened of that copper/steel core milsurp stuff left and I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

Nevertheless, Chinese Mild steel Core performance is an internet myth. Maybe back in the day it was a little different than the run of the mill - but it's not worth much these days except to a collector maybe... if anyone wants to give me $1 a round? ...I got plenty to sell ...how about .50 a round?
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Harrier wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:35 am
AZGEEZER wrote: July 11th, 2018, 3:44 pm
that may be true but a simple magnet test to the tip reveals a lot too. IIRC Norinco had a line of lead core that came out after the ban on steel core (I think- timeline kinda fuzzy). I don't recall if it was all copper washed or not, I think I still have a yellow box and a blue box of it stashed somewhere.
I have a spam can and some opened of that copper/steel core milsurp stuff left and I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

Nevertheless, Chinese Mild steel Core performance is an internet myth. Maybe back in the day it was a little different than the run of the mill - but it's not worth much these days except to a collector maybe... if anyone wants to give me $1 a round? ...I got plenty to sell ...how about .50 a round?
Even a "mild" steel core is going to penetrate MUCH more then a lead one will. Hence the poor mans AP comment. A nail is made out of mild steel and yet you can hammer it into a wood board, whereas a piece of lead in the shape of a nail will simply get smashed by the hammer if you try it.

As to current pricing I have no idea but what you happen to think it's worth isn't always the same as what someone else does. I would look around before offering it up.

You also missed the boat where it was selling for well over $1 a round back in the day.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

^ Hammer analogy is ridiculous. You are not hitting that nail made out of lead at high velocity.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

harleypower69 wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 8:02 am ^ Hammer analogy is ridiculous. You are not hitting that nail made out of lead at high velocity.
You are hitting both nails at the same speed...one penetrates the other doesn't.

Up the speed all you like and at EVERY speed the steel core will penetrate farther then the lead.

Back to the pricing, as I was looking at SKSs on GB I saw a listing for Chinese steel core and it was bid up over $.50 a rd and still had time left on clock.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

At the time both the lead core and steel core were both steel jacketed thus both are magnetic. I have both and been showing for years that both are magnetic, and look identical.

I didn't miss the comment about the $1rd, but folks seem to think if a magnet sticks to the bullet it's an AP round when even the lead core does that because of the steel jacket.