Looking for 65 CM Build Advice

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Looking for 65 CM Build Advice

Post by BigNate »

My son and I have started down the path of building AR-10s in 6.5 CM. We've both built AR-15 platform guns in the past - nothing super high-end but good shooting reliable guns built with decent to good parts. I have some baseline parts that I've picked up over time that I expect will be used... Aero Precision M5 lowers, SSA-E triggers in particular and I'll probably use these unless they present a problem.

We want to build precision semi-auto rifles for distance shooting (possibly CMP stuff) and I've been looking for writeups on this topic and have found some - but I'd like to hear from folks who have done it and any advice about what to do and not do before we dive in. In advance - No - we don't want to build bolt guns... yess I know that MOA/$ can be better - but we want to build AR-10 based guns this time. :D

Anyway - we'll be buying parts in the "very good" - to - "almost the best" range - although I'm not interested in paying 400% more for something that is only nominally better than the next thing down and cool factor does not carry much weight - I'm a function over form guy. For example, we'll probably order barrels from Kreiger, Proof research, etc - but I'm not likely to have a truly custom barrel built.

So - with that - advice? Do's? Don'ts?

Thanks!

Yugmoto1

Re: Looking for 65 CM Build Advice

Post by Yugmoto1 »

I don't really have any do's or don'ts yet since I haven't finished my AR10. But I would suggest Quentin Defense over in Gilbert for your upper and lower. They have them in stock at the moment as well. I'm very happy with the quality. I'm using a Criterion barrel with a JP Enterprises barrel extension and the fit with the upper is perfect. The upper doesn't have the forward assist, which I like. Not a deal killer, but one less thing on the gun.
Yugmoto1

Post by Yugmoto1 »

I might add, super good to deal with too.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks much sir...