AR Feed Issue

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
GringoLoco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR Feed Issue

Post by GringoLoco »

what the heck, i'll throw in my 2 cents.

i saw a trigger cause just enough "drag" to slow the whole AR down that it would have issues cycling.

you could just try throwing the upper on a different lower to see what happens. it wouldn't prove the trigger group is the problem but if things worked, you'd at least know it has something to do with the lower rather than the gas system. this all assumes you have a spare lower laying around or a friend that has one.

good luck!

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Times like this remind me I'm glad to have made my own tube for test firing stuff.
Heavy walled pipe about 4" diameter, cut at an angle and welded to a big 1/2" piece of plate. filled with shredded tires(rubber mulch in your home & garden store). The top has a rubber tile attached with a small hole cut out for the barrel. Pretty quiet and has stopped everything I've fired into it.
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

Thanks amigos
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

sonofbp wrote: April 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm we taking bets?
my "money" is on misaligned gas block making it undergassed
It's also called short stroking.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Elk34 wrote: April 6th, 2020, 7:04 pm
Big difference... "Short stroking" is a symptom, not a cause. I think the OP is looking for the cause.
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

Elk34 wrote: April 6th, 2020, 7:04 pm
right, I am saying that the rifle is shortstroking because it is undergassed and pointing out what I believe to be the cause for said gas issues causing the shortest of the strokes :mrgreen:
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

If the gas tube is strait, and the carrier and bolt are found not to be the problem, then I know some barrels gas holes don't get drilled to the proper size. Some holes are .074 some .075 on up to .080. You can get the bits at Ace hardware. If that's the problem. Find out first what hole you have before drilling. Only drill if you have ruled out the rest of the system. If you need to know how get in touch with Tim Mcbride.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Tim McBride wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:30 am Times like this remind me I'm glad to have made my own tube for test firing stuff.
Heavy walled pipe about 4" diameter, cut at an angle and welded to a big 1/2" piece of plate. filled with shredded tires(rubber mulch in your home & garden store). The top has a rubber tile attached with a small hole cut out for the barrel. Pretty quiet and has stopped everything I've fired into it.
This is a good idea, about how long is the pipe? I have access to alot of shredded rubber and sections of truck tire tread I could easily make one of these
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

rockbronco wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Tim McBride wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:30 am Times like this remind me I'm glad to have made my own tube for test firing stuff.
This is a good idea, about how long is the pipe? I have access to alot of shredded rubber and sections of truck tire tread I could easily make one of these
I'd have to go measure but about 3 feet. It's enough that I don't need to significantly bend over.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I made one from an old motorcycle muffler... I was forming cases so they were essentially blanks with NO projectiles- the first 243/308 blew a hole right thru the factory baffles - but it was quiet! -ya gotta stuff it full of non combustible stuff.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Tim McBride wrote: April 7th, 2020, 3:52 pm
rockbronco wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm
I'd have to go measure but about 3 feet. It's enough that I don't need to significantly bend over.
No need to measure, just looking for a rough idea of size. I can modify from what I’ve got. Got some heavy wall square tube I can use

Thanks again