Pentagon's plan to address suicides: restrict access to guns

This is the place for those men and women who have given of themselves in military service to our country. Feel free to discuss anything as it relates to prior (or current) service... and we all thank you for your service!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Pentagon's plan to address suicides: restrict access to guns

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... -suicides/

Limiting easy access to guns, including those purchased on base, is one of the top ways the Defense Department could cut down on military deaths by suicide, according to an independent commission tasked with reviewing the Defense Department’s suicide prevention programs.

The commission recommended standardizing purchasing rules across the Defense Department, whereas current policies tend to mirror local and state laws. Recommendations included raising the purchase age to 25 on bases, in addition to imposing a seven-day waiting period to purchase a gun, another four-day waiting period to purchase ammunition and a requirement to register all privately owned firearms stored in base housing.

Many military leaders also called for the repealing a federal law that restricts them from controlling troops’ access to guns, including collecting any information on lawful gun ownership among service members.

QuietM4

Re: Pentagon's plan to address suicides: restrict access to guns

Post by QuietM4 »

I have a plan to stop speeding by restricting access to red cars.
OMart

Post by OMart »

As far as I know, if you live in the dorms, gun must be stored in the armory. If you live in housing and buy on base, security forces must be notified that you own, demonstrate safe storage, and know location of firearms. Also, multiple purchase forms get mailed to security forces as well as ATF and CLEO in area. Per installation, 24 hours to buy ammo.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Veterans claiming PTSD might be next??
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

QuietM4 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:45 pm I have a plan to stop speeding by restricting access to red cars.
Exactly!

Throwing psychotropic drugs at veterans until they're a zombie is not the way to solve this problem either.
thom

Post by thom »

Suck My Glock wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:05 pm

The commission recommended standardizing purchasing rules across the Defense Department, whereas current policies tend to mirror local and state laws. Recommendations included raising the purchase age to 25 on bases, in addition to imposing a seven-day waiting period to purchase a gun, another four-day waiting period to purchase ammunition and a requirement to register all privately owned firearms stored in base housing.

Many military leaders also called for the repealing a federal law that restricts them from controlling troops’ access to guns, including collecting any information on lawful gun ownership among service members.
Making the troops "2nd class citizens".
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Sooo, let me get this sorted out. You give them a gun, extensively train them to use it, tell them to take the gun and kill enemies with it, then tell them they can’t have a gun!
Hmmm