Veterans Day

This is the place for those men and women who have given of themselves in military service to our country. Feel free to discuss anything as it relates to prior (or current) service... and we all thank you for your service!
QuangTri
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Veterans Day

Post by QuangTri »

That Guy wrote: November 12th, 2022, 11:05 am
kenpoprofessor wrote: November 11th, 2022, 8:15 am
cool arrow wrote: November 11th, 2022, 7:44 am Good morning, brothers and sisters.
Ah, I was just a cold war hero keeping nukes in the air so the USSR wouldn't kill us all here.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

There’s simpler term for your duties: REMF!
So, what was your MOS and where did you serve?

cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

OS1(SW/EXW)

-OCONUS EXW deployments
Kuwait
Qatar
Bahrain
Jordan
Iraq
Afghanistan

-OCONUS SW @ sea deployments
WestPAC
Guam
Indonesia
Philippines
Viet Nam
Cambodia
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuangTri wrote: November 15th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Ah, I was just a cold war hero keeping nukes in the air so the USSR wouldn't kill us all here.

Clyde

Air Force, had an Air Force Specialty Code AFSC 42371 Aircraft Environmental Systems/Electric Technician.

2 years at McChord AFB WA, 3 years at Upper Heyford UK , 6 years at George AFB CA

Oh, just realized you were referencing the dick on here :o

Have a great, gun carryin, Kenpo day

Clyde
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

QuangTri wrote: November 15th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Clyde

I fought in the People Republic of Pineland to liberate their oppressed peoples from the forces of evil. :clap:
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Limper »

Enlisted in the USAF right after high school. Stayed for almost 21 years (Jul 83 - Jan 04). AFSC = 20874G/1N874G (aircrew Korean cryptolinguist). Primarily mission crew on RC-135 Rivet Joint/Cobra Ball and EC-130H Compass Call. Flew a few E-3 AWACS missions, had a few ground tours at Osan AB and a few trips to the sandbox sprinkled in to add variety. Got to see the SR-71 multiple times since they were stationed there at Kadena AB when I was there in 85-86. Since we worked in the same secure facility, I would pass by their scheduling board when I left work. After a graveyard shift I would look to see if an SR-71 was taking off that morning. If one was, I would wait at the end of the Kadena runway to watch it blast off into the sky at full burners. Almost close enough to touch it seemed as the sound of it passing over or very near was more of a visceral event you experienced rather than a mere sound you heard.

Here is my challenge coin I still carry every day from when I was TDY at Prince Sultan AB in 96. You can see the wear marks from being in my pocket for 26 years. I was assigned to the 4416 Intelligence Squadron (Provisional) which flew RC-135 missions supporting Operation Southern Watch enforcing the Iraqi no-fly zone. I left home to the desert June 26, 1996 the day after the Khobar Towers bombing (see link below). I knew one the the guys (Capt Leland Haun) killed in that event. I flew with him at an earlier Compass Call assignment. Don't mind getting to Saudi Arabia and missing that event by a few days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khobar_Towers_bombing
Attachments
Challenge coin_front.jpg
Challenge coin_back.jpg
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

During my career as an engineer often delving into SIGINT, had occasion to go out to Ontario Ca and do a calibration measurement of the antennas on an EC-130. VERY interesting airplane.

Same with RC-135s at Greenville Texas.
Limper

Post by Limper »

Quang Tri,

Never went on any of the Ontario, CA TDYs since those trips usually didn't require the button-pushing operator (self-loading baggage if you ask the flight crew) . Didn't know how the magic worked, I just pushed the Big Red Button to make it happen. 8-)
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

I really liked the big sliding aperture for the camera on the starboard side.
I gather the fun electronics loaded on in a shelter.

The big recorders on the 135 were cool. Guys mentioned a few of their more hairy missions getting the Soviets to light off their radar.

Not much mention of all the planes they really did shoot down and aircrew lost.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

kenpoprofessor wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:15 pm So, what was your MOS and where did you serve?
Being on a SAC base with the Soviet nuke crosshairs on you was not exactly rear echelon.

Could be ground zero at any time.

Spent a few years toward the end of my career working on Ford Island, did dwell on all the nukes aimed at that spot a time or two.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

kenpoprofessor wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:15 pm So, what was your MOS and where did you serve?
Being on a SAC base with the Soviet nuke crosshairs on you was not exactly rear echelon.

Could be ground zero at any time.

Spent a few years toward the end of my career working on Ford Island, did dwell on all the nukes aimed at that spot a time or two.

I like living part of the time 180 miles southeast of there now. Hope the NORKS aiming does not overshoot.
[/quote]
Last edited by QuangTri on November 15th, 2022, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

That Guy wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:38 pm I fought in the People Republic of Pineland to liberate their oppressed peoples from the forces of evil.
That explains familiarity with REMF. Y'all had a part in the machine, however safe from harm.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Wow .. sounds like some of you guys had very interesting MOS's. Like I said .. I was pretty boring

http://www.mosdb.com/army/62J/mos/3561/

Trained at Fort Leonard Wood

came out and earned a fine arts degree and combined the two skills for a career in Display design and production. It all worked out.
Limper

Post by Limper »

Hey Boriqua,

You mentioned you did "boring' army construction. Most of my time in the service was "boring" but that's ok with me. When you fly around in a plane there's a good chance "exciting" might involve fire and maybe a sudden stop at the end. All those cool toys the various services use require lots of people doing "boring" jobs like construction or maintenance to enable those cool toys to do the neat things they do. I always appreciated the maintenance guys who worked on my planes and never took them for granted.

I wish I had a smidgeon of your talent with leather. If I made a holster it would resemble something out of one of Picasso's fever dreams. I'd probably be hard pressed to make a serviceable leather bag with a strap. Anyways, thanks to everyone who served no matter how exciting or boring your job was. Even if you never bled or were shot at you sacrificed valuable time away from your family and spent some time away in some lonely godforsaken place at a minimum.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

QuangTri wrote: November 15th, 2022, 8:43 pm
That Guy wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:38 pm I fought in the People Republic of Pineland to liberate their oppressed peoples from the forces of evil.
That explains familiarity with REMF. Y'all had a part in the machine, however safe from harm.
Yeah, I figgered when it came to what I’ve done and where I’ve been the “Pineland” clue was a little too oblique and opaque for most-especially “sea soldiers” who usually can’t correctly write the word “subtle” without using spell check. So I’ll drop a few more hints:

Rex Sprague
JTF-6
Bekaa Valley
Captain Joe Curry
First point of performance
SFC Tom Kapp
SODARS
MSR Tampa
Evan Liberty
“Izzy” target
Oh, and before I forget I did provide the requisite credentials needed for the authorization to purchase one of these knives made by Chris Reeve for certain folks. Just sayin’…… :whistle:

But then ANYbody, can claim to be ANYthing, ANY time on the internet Al Gore invented…
Attachments
977A0CBC-3B05-42D2-B275-E54D73EC4231.jpeg