Woman Graduates Army Sniper Course for the First Time

This is the place for those men and women who have given of themselves in military service to our country. Feel free to discuss anything as it relates to prior (or current) service... and we all thank you for your service!
428cj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by 428cj »

A Montana Army National Guard soldier has become the first woman to complete the seven-week U.S. Army Sniper Course at Fort Benning, Ga., military officials said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... _211110.nl

mtptwo

Re: Woman Graduates Army Sniper Course for the First Time

Post by mtptwo »

Now did they lower expectations, or is she actually capable?
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

mtptwo wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:19 am Now did they lower expectations, or is she actually capable?
Exactly. Did they bend the rules, or did she REALLY do it?
428cj

Post by 428cj »

XJThrottle wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:21 am
mtptwo wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:19 am Now did they lower expectations, or is she actually capable?

Exactly. Did they bend the rules, or did she REALLY do it?

Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko, (Russian: Людми́ла Миха́йловна Павличе́нко; Ukrainian: Людмила Михайлівна Павличенко, née Belova; 12 July [O.S. 30 May] 1916 – 10 October 1974) was a Soviet sniper in the Red Army during World War II, who was credited with 309 confirmed kills,[a][2][3] making her the most successful female sniper in recorded history.[4][5]

Pavlichenko was called "Lady Death" for her ability with a sniper rifle.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

Just think of that Fin girl, killed over 500 Russians in WW2.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Only one of you can be correct. LOL
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

I'm not asking if the women of a 100 years ago where capable. I'm asking did they bend the rules for the current gal that passed the sinper course.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

mtptwo wrote: November 10th, 2021, 3:22 pm I'm not asking if the women of a 100 years ago where capable. I'm asking did they bend the rules for the current gal that passed the sinper course.
Pretty sure the only truthful answer one can get would be the compadres who went thru the program with her, all else would be bullshiate ,and conjecture. Some men who failed may hold it against a gal who whipped their arse, and talk shiate, happens all the time, some are imo physically able if they choose to be and are of stature, but hey, i 'm not there, and can only hope her spotter or team can count on her to do her deligence and stand the post.
Rj
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

A woman, you say? You wonder if they had to "bend" the rules? Maybe give her bigger targets? She may have had problems with the physical portion of the course, but I doubt the shooting part would be a problem. The guys are still trying to beat Nancy Galleger (sic) and her kids! Reason there's men's and women's division in the shooting sports is we (the men) got tired of being beat!
What

Post by What »

Thirty-five students at U.S. Army Sniper School participate in the ghillie wash, which is designed to test the strength and durability of the suits as well as weather them, at Fort Benning, Georgia, Feb. 5, 2021. (Patrick A. Albright/U.S. Army photo)

9 Nov 2021

Stars and Stripes | By Chad Garland

A Montana Army National Guard soldier has become the first woman to complete the seven-week U.S. Army Sniper Course at Fort Benning, Ga., military officials said.

The service is withholding the identity of the soldier, who graduated Friday. While she's the first woman to complete the intensive Army training, several have completed a shorter Air Force course to qualify as snipers over the past 20 years.

"We are extremely proud of this soldier's achievement and recognize that this is a milestone for not only Montana, but the entire National Guard and Army," said Maj. Gen. J. Peter Hronek, the state's adjutant general.

The soldier, who enlisted last December, was recommended for the sniper course by her training staff and chain of command during Fort Benning's 22-week One Station Unit Training.

Their endorsement was based on her superior performance, including qualifying as an expert shooter, during that initial schooling that combines basic training with advanced instruction in infantry skills.

"We're all incredibly proud of her," said Capt. Joshua O'Neill, her OSUT company commander. "There wasn't a doubt in our minds that she would succeed."

She arrived prepared and "met every standard required to graduate" the course, said Capt. David Wright, battalion commander at the U.S. Army Sniper School.

The intensive program trains and tests students on fieldcraft, camouflage techniques, marksmanship, concealed movement, target detection, intelligence preparation and other tactics and techniques necessary to deliver long-range precision fire and collect battlefield information, according to a course description on the Fort Benning website.

"We wish her luck as she heads back to her unit as a U.S. Army Sniper Course qualified sniper," Wright said.

It's the latest in a series of firsts for women since all combat jobs in the military were opened to them in 2015. But female snipers in particular have a long history of defying traditional stereotypes.

During World War II, Ukrainian-born Soviet Army sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko visited Washington to rally America's support for a "second front" in Europe and was invited by first lady Eleanor Roosevelt on a tour of the country to discuss her combat experience, the Smithsonian Magazine said in a 2013 profile.

Called a "girl sniper" in the American press, which obsessed over her appearance and makeup, she was taken more seriously by the Nazis, who purportedly knew her as "Lady Death." By the time she reached Chicago, she had some strong words for the large crowd there.

"Gentlemen, I am 25 years old, and I have killed 309 fascist (occupiers) by now," she said.

But the U.S. military did not graduate its first female sniper until 2001, when an enlisted female security forces airman with the Illinois Air National Guard completed the service's pilot Counter Sniper School at Camp Joseph T. Robinson in Arkansas.

Jennifer Weitekamp "could put a bullet through an enemy's head from nearly a mile away," the Illinois National Guard said in a statement in 2018, when she was a first lieutenant. "Such is life for the Air Force's first female sniper -- friendly and easy-going on the outside, but with killer skills inside."

She had responded to a call for volunteers ahead of the 2001 course, she said, but was initially denied entry because it wasn't open to women. Officials later changed their minds.

That 19-day training program was later renamed the Close Precision Engagement Course and relocated to Fort Bliss, Texas. As of 2012, at least nine women had graduated.

"The school was not easy and there were days I wanted to go home," Weitekamp said in the 2018 statement. "I was the first woman to go through, it was because of that and the opportunities it would open up for future women that helped me get through the training and kept me motivated."

© Copyright 2021 Stars and Stripes. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I vote legit.

Congrats and hope to hear nothing but good from skills.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Pretty sure my sister could out shoot most you queers.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

DevilDocAZ wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:35 am Pretty sure my sister could out shoot most you queers.
My girlfriend shoots better than all my friends. :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

XJThrottle wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:46 am
DevilDocAZ wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:35 am Pretty sure my sister could out shoot most you queers.
Your friends sound horrible.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

DevilDocAZ wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:47 am
They won't have my 6 in a home invasion. I'll keep it the way it is. 8-)
Doc

Post by Doc »

XJThrottle wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:48 am
DevilDocAZ wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:47 am

They won't have my 6 in a home invasion. I'll keep it the way it is. 8-)
Hopefully you never have to test this theory….me either.