Buying Through Base Exchange

This is the place for those men and women who have given of themselves in military service to our country. Feel free to discuss anything as it relates to prior (or current) service... and we all thank you for your service!
azdover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Buying Through Base Exchange

Post by azdover »

Just a heads up in case anybody doesn't know this already. If you're eligible to use a military base exchange, you can buy a gun from them for a reasonable pre-panic price in most cases. I was shopping for a S&W Model 19. I wasn't having any luck locally and online sales were the usual out-of-stock or with inflated prices. Then I checked the military exchange system website - shopmyexchange.com - I found what I was looking for at a decent price.

Cons
- You have to create an account.
- You have to be eligible to use a military exchange. Not sure who is exactly considered eligible, but I'm retired military so it worked for me.
- You have to pick up your purchase at a military exchange.
- The website is confusing and supposedly a new system that doesn't have the bugs worked out.
-- It took my order and credit card info, and sent me a prompt email confirmation. I got an email from my credit card showing the charge, but then the email disappeared. The charge was pending on my credit card account then that disappeared too. I thought I had already prepaid based on my email confirmation. When I went to pick up the gun, an employee told me that it hadn't been paid for. I was able to confirm there was no charge for the gun after checking my credit card online, so I paid for the gun during check out.
- It took about 2 1/2 hours to complete the purchase. Part of that time was due to the payment issue and some question on the price of the gun, although that worked out $50 in my favor. The Exchange doesn't honor a CCW, so you have to go through the NICS check which took about 30 minutes. And part of the delay was the 3 guys ahead of me when I got there.
- As usual, little or no ammo.

Pros
- I didn't have to pay any shipping charges, FFL fees, or sales taxes. What you see on the website is what you pay. Although, like I mentioned before, I actually paid $50 less than the price that was listed on the website.
- Selection is limited, both on the website and in the counter displays. But there were a number of Glocks, KImbers, and Springfields plus some other brands for sale in the display counters for decent if not great pre-panic prices. I saw a new Glock 22 Gen 3 for $510, which wasn't bad considering you don't have to pay sales tax and it was sitting there right in front of me.
- It only took a week from when I ordered my gun until I picked it up. Mine had to be shipped from a supplier (the dreaded "awaiting fulfilment" message. I really hate those words, along with "unprecedented" and "an abundance of caution". Just call it like it is! "F---ED UP" and "NOBODY HAS A CLUE WHAT TO DO"!!!". Sorry, I'll get off the soap box now without trying to break a hip.)

So even though the cons list is longer than the pros, it still might be worth your time to check out the website or even wander into an exchange to check out their gun counter.

Hope this helps someone,
Pete

guardyan_angyl

Re: Buying Through Base Exchange

Post by guardyan_angyl »

Thanks. I’ve checked them out physically in the BX but never shopped online. I’ll check it out.
Packer
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Packer »

Just purchased my wife a new computer which was not available a Luke. Shipped directly to our home at no cost. Not quite as easy as Amazon but still no tax and can be easier than the base if driving is a
problem.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Good information, thanks.
Robertsm

Post by Robertsm »

I’ve still been grabbing a few Magpul mags every time I stop in the BX for a haircut.