Interior Department grants lifetime free access to National Parks for veterans, Gold Star families

This is the place for those men and women who have given of themselves in military service to our country. Feel free to discuss anything as it relates to prior (or current) service... and we all thank you for your service!
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Interior Department grants lifetime free access to National Parks for veterans, Gold Star families

Post by Flash »

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/i ... o48yhmnl4Y

I've got a Senior Lifetime Pass that gets me in free now and so it becomes useless to me. Since they go for $80.00 these perhaps I should sell it since I no longer need it.

WASHINGTON – Veterans and Gold Star families will be given free lifetime entry into national parks, wildlife refuges and other federal lands starting on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

Current rules state that only active-duty service members and their dependents, as well as veterans with 100% disability ratings through the Department of Veterans Affairs, are eligible for free entrance into all national parks. The change provides free entry to millions more veterans and families.

Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt announced the initiative Wednesday during an event at the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum in Des Moines.

“With the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter,” Bernhardt said.

According to the Interior Department, veterans must present some form of identification reflecting their veteran status to get free entry into national parks. This includes a Defense Department identification card, VA identification card or a U.S. driver’s license that has a veteran designation.

deserttrans

Re: Interior Department grants lifetime free access to National Parks for veterans, Gold Star families

Post by deserttrans »

Great deal and decision for all veterans!
AZG23

Re: Interior Department grants lifetime free access to National Parks for veterans, Gold Star families

Post by AZG23 »

Veterans should have more perks like this as well as the best medical care available. Time for Vets to get the Medical coverage congress does!
Flash

Post by Flash »

AZG23 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:50 am Veterans should have more perks like this as well as the best medical care available. Time for Vets to get the Medical coverage congress does!
I pretty much do have the Medical coverage Congress does, and it's relatively cheap, so I can't complain about that too much. It's not through the VA, though.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Retirees get great Tri Care insurance and at 65 it changes name to Tri Care for Life add in some Medicare THOSE are BENEFITS.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I have the Lifetime Access Pass (handicappers) but this is good news for all Vets!
About time, especially since they're now up to $30 a car entry fee at the Grand Canyon.

Does this new policy cover everyone in the car with a Vet to enter free? :think:

Edited: Just checked, it's up to $35 a car at the Grand Canyon. Wow.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Doc Holliday wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:19 pm Does this new policy cover everyone in the car with a Vet to enter free? :think:
The article says "Veterans and their families" so I imagine they'd let the whole car in. No point in making everyone prove they're family.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Good to know. I have some family coming in for the holidays and the want to go to the GC.
Aznine
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Aznine »

This is Good News!!!!