Cool Kayak that is easy to transport

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Cool Kayak that is easy to transport

Post by Boriqua »

Thought I would share .... So for the last 2-3 years I would paddle around canyon lake, apache lake and at butcher jones with the wife in a 3 person raft.
uss boriqua.JPG
It operates like a row boat and while we had fun it was pretty big when deflated and was slow going in the water so really hindered how far we could explore. Cool thing was it was big enough to bring a cooler with breakfast and our cameras but I wanted to go further with less effort.

So before summer this year I bought an inflatable kayak. I dont have anywhere to store a hard kayak and I had other reasons to want an inflatable.

So I picked this guy up for around $100
kayak.jpg
DSCF2786.JPG
It is plenty long for my wife and I but consider we are not the tallest people around but ... there is still some 18 inches behind my seat where I could go further back so I think it would be fine for taller folk.

Once on site and taking our time it probably takes about 10-15 minutes to have it all ready for the water. It comes with a dual action pump and it really does inflate quickly. Assemble the 2 paddles and attach the skeg and you are ready to go.

We have had it out at least 15 times and would have been more but I got sick and was laid up for 6 weeks. It cuts through the water like no ones business and we have really been able to extend our exploration radius and catch the big horns at play and much more. For $100 bucks of entertainment and exercise value .. its amazing. Oh and its good exercise since I feel it for the next day!!

Here is the coolest part .. once folded up and put in the bag it takes up little room and even transports on my bike. I havent weighed it but I would put it around 30 lbs. I have since bought a better bag for it but it does come with the bag in the picture. In the bag is the kayak, paddles, skeg and my wifes life preserver. The pump fits in one of the saddle bags.
vee kayak sm.jpg
vee kayak1sm.jpg
So I get in a sweet bike ride to and from Canyon lake and I get some water time. I cant wait until they open up the trail to apache lake so I can tool around over there!!

here is a quick snap I got off the kayak this past week
DSCF2827sm.JPG
You can use it as hard or as easy as you like. it really moves through the water effortlessly and it easily fits in the trunk of any compact car or if you have a bike that can haul .... strap it down and go. My vee with wife and kayak still runs the curves to canyon lake without issue.

Great buy!

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Cool Kayak that is easy to transport

Post by AZ_Five56 »

It's awesome that you're able to fit it on your bike, and that's one terrific ride up the Apache Trail (unless you have slow cars ahead of you).

I have a big canoe that I take my kids out in, and well, I could use a break sometimes. It might be nice to have something like this to break us out in a couple watercraft. How easily does it move through the water? Is it reasonably quick?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

AZ_Five56 wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:24 am It's awesome that you're able to fit it on your bike, and that's one terrific ride up the Apache Trail (unless you have slow cars ahead of you).

I have a big canoe that I take my kids out in, and well, I could use a break sometimes. It might be nice to have something like this to break us out in a couple watercraft. How easily does it move through the water? Is it reasonably quick?
I have had guys at the lake ask about the kayak as they are offloading full size kayaks from their truck.

I am sure a hard kayak will be a bit more nimble but the inflatable really does cut through the water nicely. Once you dip the paddles the first 3 strokes it just starts gliding along and we kind of lazily paddle and are amazed at the distance we cover with so little effort. My 63 yr old wife .. who is strong but doesnt really have an athletic bone in her body can manage to propel us just fine when I decide to take a break and just hang out in the back.

Its cheap fun and unlike a proper boat .. there is no up front work at home that can be off putting. You wake up and decide to go out and play .. I just grab the bag from the shed strap it down and off I go.

I have since lost a ton of weight and my wife lost some too but when we first started I was a about 210lbs and the wife was about 135 so it will haul a bit of weight.

I was at Apache trail earlier in the week and they have opened it up about 7 miles past Tortilla flat but thats it. Still cant get all the way to the lake but canyon lake is nice if you go during the week.

I forgot how pretty and green the trip down apache trail is. I went the 7 miles just because it was closed all this time and wow .. its stunning. Cant wait until they open it up all the way to the damn again. Maybe next year
DSCF2832sm.JPG
DSCF2831sm.JPG
Last edited by Boriqua on August 16th, 2020, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Boriqua wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:34 am
AZ_Five56 wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:24 am It's awesome that you're able to fit it on your bike, and that's one terrific ride up the Apache Trail (unless you have slow cars ahead of you).

I have had guys at the lake ask about the kayak as they are offloading full size kayaks from their truck.

I am sure a hard kayak will be a bit more nimble but the inflatable really does cut through the water nicely. Once you dip the paddles the first 3 strokes it just starts gliding along and we kind of lazily paddle and are amazed at the distance we cover with so little effort. My wife .. who is strong but doesnt really have an athletic bone in her body can manage to propel us just fine when I decide to take a break and just hang out in the back.

Its cheap fun and unlike a proper boat .. there is no up front work at home that can be off putting. You wake up and decide to go out and play .. I just grab the bag from the shed strap it down and off I go.

I have since lost a ton of weight and my wife lost some too but when we first started I was a about 210lbs and the wife was about 135 so it will haul a bit of weight.

I was at Apache trail earlier in the week and they have opened it up about 7 miles past Tortilla flat but thats it. Still cant get all the way to the lake but canyon lake is nice if you go during the week.
That's great to hear. I was concerned that they might be a little sluggish. The canoe is pretty quick, so I just don't want to end up in a situation where someone is constantly lagging behind and where we always have to wait for them to catch up.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Great info guys
landon

Post by landon »

Very cool!
doubletapp

Post by doubletapp »

the wife and I have one of the three man inflatable rafts works great we used to tube the salt with it
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

doubletapp wrote: August 16th, 2020, 3:15 pm the wife and I have one of the three man inflatable rafts works great we used to tube the salt with it
That raft is tough as hell. I had contemplated building a hard floor for it before deciding on the kayak. Still its nice to cover three times the distance with the kayak and less effort but it was nice to have breakfast on the raft.

The wife and I got these for tubing the salt. I have the red and she has a blue .. cost us about $25 bucks each and they are plenty big enough and lots of fun. Was floating down the salt just this past Friday!!
81y9JU6KJrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Intex Red River Run 1 Fire Edition Sport Lounge, Inflatable Water Float, 53" Diameter and has a mesh bottom so your butt doesnt slip through.

Also by intex and well made... have crashed into more than a few rocks and it has held up just fine. I love the huge deflate valve that lets it deflate in a minute and right into a bag and on the bike.

The cool thing living out here in east east mesa is I am minutes from my driveway to water and desert hiking .. the sucky thing is .. now that I am out here trying to sell things takes forever because NO ONE wants to come way out here for pickup. Meh .. I will take the access to water and desert!! :)
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Wife and I hit up Canyon lake at midnight about every other week.
Then get out once the heat and idiots show up, both ours have lights, and she has a fish finder for hers.
We were out there Thursday night/Friday morning and it was awesome, light breeze, cool, and the water was glass, pulled a few bass and a 15 pound catfish out.

AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Gunslinger808 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:17 pm Wife and I hit up Canyon lake at midnight about every other week.
Then get out once the heat and idiots show up, both ours have lights, and she has a fish finder for hers.
We were out there Thursday night/Friday morning and it was awesome, light breeze, cool, and the water was glass, pulled a few bass and a 15 pound catfish out.
That's the time to be out there! Years back, when I lived in the east valley, I used to go out there early in the morning. I'd usually get out of there when the speed boats arrived.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Oh man I have to try it at night!!!

I try and get out about 5am -530 but night sounds awesome!

Think I will ride up in the car though.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Gunslinger808 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:17 pm Wife and I hit up Canyon lake at midnight about every other week.
Is the acacia lake area parking open or is the gate locked? I guess I can leave the car along the road in one of the cutouts?
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

It was all open on Friday, including Acacia.
There were a few yaks at the no motorized area (LaBarge), but we don’t go there as they don’t allow vehicles with trailers to park there.
As to roadside parking, yup, there were people at most of the places when we were leaving.
What

Post by What »

OP, I ride the Vee (06), very good to know about inflatable canoe. That's definitely going to be handy even after your experience with it. Thanks for sharing the info.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

What wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:53 pm OP, I ride the Vee (06), very good to know about inflatable canoe. That's definitely going to be handy even after your experience with it. Thanks for sharing the info.
LOVE my VEE!! I have owned a sh*t ton of motorcycles over the last 42 or so years of riding. It is in my top 2 favorites!!

So you already know .. the vee has a ton of good usable power down low on the tach. It doenst even flinch with the wife and the kayak on the back and the saddle bags filled with stuff. I put it in 3rd gear a bit past needle point vista and ride it out to acacia lake. Freagin bike is awesome!

If you wait until early spring those kayaks are available near $100. We have been having a blast with it. Highly recommend!

This is the bag I landed up getting for it. Well I cant seem to make Amazon links work so here is the description you can use to look it up

Brand: WFLB
Extra Large Travel Duffel Bag Oversized Carry On Checked Luggage Bag Anti Theft Travel Tote 28'',120L

Heavier fabric and the flip open top makes loading and unlading a breeze with some room to spare. The kayak comes with a bag but its a little flimsy. Would be fine for trunk carry but not firm enough for the bike
Last edited by Boriqua on August 18th, 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.