ferral hog hunting

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Hac
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: ferral hog hunting

Post by Hac »

Edge wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:42 am I'll be Pming you for that spot. The reuge I was referring too is the Lk Havasu. If the spot with hogs is out side of the refuge, I'd love some pork.
I have family there, sounds like a good time.

https://www.havasunews.com/news/sharpsh ... 36305.html
That is a crazy picture. All 4 pictures I have seen from the guy that harvested them in that area were identical in color to the one pictured in that article.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

That could be fun. Built a suppressed 300BO SBR I have yet to shoot...
Howlin Mad

Post by Howlin Mad »

Hogs have to have a good supply of water, that's what keeps them from overrunning Arizona like other states.

Guys that successfully hunt them won't tell you where they go.

There are no regulations on killing wild/feral hogs, shoot them wherever.

I do know of some that were killed back side of the Catalinas along the San Pedro.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

They exist. I have killed one. Called a whole heard of them in while calling in unit 32 about 8 years ago. I have hunted them many times since then with no success. The Rancher was well pleased I killed one and I have a feeling the Ranch hands had taken care of the rest or at least ran them out of the country. Good eating for sure. I killed a young sow and was seriously better eating than the farm raised hogs I had at home.
Edge

Post by Edge »

stomp442 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm They exist. I have killed one. Called a whole heard of them in while calling in unit 32 about 8 years ago. I have hunted them many times since then with no success. The Rancher was well pleased I killed one and I have a feeling the Ranch hands had taken care of the rest or at least ran them out of the country. Good eating for sure. I killed a young sow and was seriously better eating than the farm raised hogs I had at home.
What call did they come in to, a disstressed rabbit?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Years ago a rancher on the San Pedro between San Manuel and Redington let loose a bunch of hogs thinking he would make money having hog hunts.
The problem was they didn't stay on his ranch. There were hogs running up and down the San Pedro for a few years causing people with fields some grief. My brother being one of them.
He had a ranch on the San Pedro about a mile down from the rancher that set them loose.
He killed them anytime he saw them.
None of them were worth eating. He ended up burying the ones he killed.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

heard these rumors too, back around 2001 we went up looking near happy jack for them and didn't find anything. Had a good time looking, but saw no sign of any pigs. Great area for Elk, but sorry no piggy.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

Edge wrote: June 5th, 2020, 7:22 am
stomp442 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm They exist. I have killed one. Called a whole heard of them in while calling in unit 32 about 8 years ago. I have hunted them many times since then with no success. The Rancher was well pleased I killed one and I have a feeling the Ranch hands had taken care of the rest or at least ran them out of the country. Good eating for sure. I killed a young sow and was seriously better eating than the farm raised hogs I had at home.
What call did they come in to, a disstressed rabbit?
Yep Calling Coyotes with a Circe Jack distress hand call.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

There were some on the Buenos Aries NWR a few years ago. Don't know if that is still true or not.