Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
428cj
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear

Post by 428cj »

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- On 19 September 2018, Jimmy Cox used his Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear pictured, at 10 feet. The incident leading to the dramatic events occurred the previous evening.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/alaska ... z62IBbKsiA

Crippledtrigger

Re: Glock model 20 10mm to stop the charging grizzly bear

Post by Crippledtrigger »

10mm impressive power is what's driving its resurgence. The 40 cal slight difference over 9 mm is what's making it a dying caliber.

If it can take a Cape buffalo a grizz is no sweat. Provided proper ammo and placement.

ETA dying doesnt mean dead.

And this is in stark contrast to the 9mm failure at stopping a grizz recently. It did make it break off its mauling but didnt stop it from continuing to stalk the hunters. Those rounds were put into the ars end of the grizz. Worst possible location for stopping/killing.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

Crippledtrigger wrote: October 15th, 2019, 2:07 pm 10mm impressive power is what's driving its resurgence. The 40 cal slight difference over 9 mm is what's making it a dying caliber.

If it can take a Cape buffalo a grizz is no sweat. Provided proper ammo and placement.

ETA dying doesnt mean dead.

And this is in stark contrast to the 9mm failure at stopping a grizz recently. It did make it break off its mauling but didnt stop it from continuing to stalk the hunters. Those rounds were put into the ars end of the grizz. Worst possible location for stopping/killing.
Maybe, but the load he supposedly used pretty much equates to a 44 special...a 200 gr bullet at 1041 fps. Like always, shot placement was key here. It's even stated that the first shot hit the lung and deflected to strike the spine, but the second shot either pierced the brain or severed the spinal cord for the kill.

Not directed at anyone, but I've always kind of laughed at people who don't like 40 because it's snappy but supposedly love 10mm. If a 40 is snappy a 10 is your worst nightmare (properly loaded). I love my .40s and 10s equally. Hell, I just like guns.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Wow
Viperdisorder

Post by Viperdisorder »

Love my 10mm, I have some doubletap that is the real deal, had to get a better spring for my gun to run it
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

My Glock 20 is my preferred sidearm when I'm out either camping or hunting, besides the ballistics I like that I'll have 12rds in the gun with extra mags on me, I regularly shoot it to stay on top of felt recoil and so forth, always been a fan of the 10mm.
Gunslinger55

Post by Gunslinger55 »

Carried it in Alaska many times. Try firing a 44 cassul full power ouch!10mm with 220 hard cast at like 1250 pretty decent power and controllable.plus faster reloads. That said I’d say a 44 mag 629 May be a better overall deal but the 10mm a decent compromise and more bullets. Hopefully you got a rifle or a 12 gauge with slugs
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

tunnug wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:22 pm My Glock 20 is my preferred sidearm when I'm out either camping or hunting, besides the ballistics I like that I'll have 12rds in the gun with extra mags on me, I regularly shoot it to stay on top of felt recoil and so forth, always been a fan of the 10mm.
A Glock 20 *should* hold 15 rounds in its standard mag.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

I always wanted a long slide 1911 in 10mm as a hunting handgun but the cost was always to much for my budget.

The Glock G40 is kind of cool but I dont want the cutout for optics on the slide.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

It does come with a plate, so its not that big of a deal but I would prefer it if they offered a version without the cut out at all.

I dont know how easy it is to tune the accuracy of a glock, I would want it to be a real tack driver
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Not a Glock but ... did someone say 10mm!! :)

This sucker is a true tack driver and feels like a puff cake even with
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... 5724956729

Its my wandering the desert gun ..
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

Boriqua wrote: April 9th, 2020, 9:11 am Not a Glock but ... did someone say 10mm!! :)

This sucker is a true tack driver and feels like a puff cake even with
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... 5724956729

Its my wandering the desert gun ..
That thing is awesome.
Gunslinger55

Post by Gunslinger55 »

KKM barrel. Especially if you shoot lead or reload. Lighter trigger. Voila great shooter.

That said my dan Wesson silverback is a tack driver
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

As far as poly 10mm's .. I had the glock 20 gen 4 and I had the Springfield XDM. The XDM was (FOR ME) a much nicer shooter in about every way.

Sure people scream about after market support but there is a healthy after market for the springfield offerings but .. It didn't need it. Where I spent a couple of months and a few hundred dollars on top of purchase price to like the glock .. the XDM came out of the box already with a great barrel with wonderful Chamber support the glock didn't have, A stiffer frame where firing .... the glock felt like a wet noodle with that round and nice sights. There was really nothing to do but put on the backstrap that you were comfortable with.

I am not anti glock or pro glock .. I refuse to hate or love them based on internet chatter. I had both guns and objectively .. I had a better experience and shot better naturally with the XDM.

Having said all that .. My Match Champion is all that and a bag of chips. Oh my goodness .. I love shooting that gun!! :)

I like Revovlers .. A lot!

Sure you get a bunch more rounds in the XDM or glock but .. even Bear guy in the OP only used 3 rounds ..that leaves me three for anything else! :)
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Just a reminder that ANY handgun round is a very poor stopper of bears. Heck, even a rifle sometimes won't get it done.

Bill Pinnell, an Alaskan brown bear guide on Kodiak Island finds the skull of an unguided bear hunter who disappeared years prior. The bones of the hunter and a bear were both found with a broken gun and a fired cartridge in the chamber. Both bear and hunter had killed each other