Hawley lake. Been there recently?

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Hawley lake. Been there recently?

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Watched a bear hunting show and reminded me of a time when I was about 17 fishing on Hawley lake in the late spring early summer and found out just how fast black bears can run.

We ended up in the wrong place near some dead fish from some die off and the place a pair of Cubs chose to pick them over as they came to the edge of the water. We were quiet and didnt know they were there till it was almost too late. When we moved we heard the huffing and teeth chattering and took off.

Stupid move as standing your ground and backing out was the better choice as we wernt exactly between her and the Cubs but hay, we were faster than a speeding bullet and I was not the slowest in the group by far so off we went. Ofcourse when we ran meant she chased and almost got us. A few more yards to the truck and she might have.

Anyways I love the white mountain rez as it's almost as beautiful as Colorado and closer. Anyone been there recently? Have fires ruined the area? I think I'll turn off at Winslow and come into town from that direction next time I come home. I know Hannigan Meadow was burnt pretty bad as that was my favorite camping area but I'm not sure about the rest.

TheRev

Re: Hawley lake. Been there recently?

Post by TheRev »

Chris,
I travel up there all the time. I have a cabin in the town of Greer. The fire that ran through there ran south/north along the Amberion ridgeline. It hit the Hawley lake area but not too bad. It's definitely starting to come back. Hannigan meadow is another story. It got hit hard. However, there are still places up there that look like the fire never happened (like KP Cienega, Blue River, etc.) It was a huge hit/miss kind of affair that didn't seem to have any reason to it. My cabin is situated on the western edges of Greer proper and we were completely missed. But anything along Amberion peak and the ridgeline was nearly wiped out.
I hope this helps,
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

TheRev wrote: November 27th, 2019, 9:46 am Chris,
I travel up there all the time. I have a cabin in the town of Greer. The fire that ran through there ran south/north along the Amberion ridgeline. It hit the Hawley lake area but not too bad. It's definitely starting to come back. Hannigan meadow is another story. It got hit hard. However, there are still places up there that look like the fire never happened (like KP Cienega, Blue River, etc.) It was a huge hit/miss kind of affair that didn't seem to have any reason to it. My cabin is situated on the western edges of Greer proper and we were completely missed. But anything along Amberion peak and the ridgeline was nearly wiped out.
I hope this helps,
KP cienega campground, really anyplace east and south of hannigan meadow, is my favorite place to camp.
chriscrawler

Post by chriscrawler »

have several friends that fish it regularly with goog reports.just need a yak to get you around it.
3m4530
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 3m4530 »

Hawley lake is a nice place to be. Do they still rent the cabins out like they did in the 90's? That's how long it has been since I have been there.