Javelina?

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Hedley lamarr 23
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Javelina?

Post by Hedley lamarr 23 »

Just wondering if any of you folks had any luck pig hunting this weekend... Postem if you gottem.. Thanks :violin:

Vinnie B

Re: Javelina?

Post by Vinnie B »

I don't have any pictures but my son and a buddy of his helped a couple kids get their pigs on Saturday then they both got theirs on Sunday
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Man been busy lately and didn't even put in for Javelina, but made sure to put in for Elk this year!

On another note buddy put in for the area (37b) we always go year after year and wasn't successful this year
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

May be a bit off topic but .. is there anything cool you can do with Javalina after you have taken it? I am not a hunter so forgive my ignorance .. does the leather tan well, can you eat it or is it just a sport animal.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

The hide isn't useful AFAIK.
You take the meat, cube it, and throw it into the crockpot with either chili spices or barbecue sauce. The flavorings take over, and you have no idea if you are eating javelina, chicken, pork, or zebra.
That's why humans invented flavorings and sauces -- to disguise the taste of meat. (Try beef some day with no salt, pepper or any other flavors. Not all that tasty.)
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Boriqua wrote: February 27th, 2019, 11:20 am May be a bit off topic but .. is there anything cool you can do with Javalina after you have taken it? I am not a hunter so forgive my ignorance .. does the leather tan well, can you eat it or is it just a sport animal.
The best recipe for javelina I know of was told to me by a chef at a prime rib restaurant.
He said to dig a pit.
Build a fire and let it burn down to coals.
Put the javelina in a pot with potatoes , onions , and whatever other vegetables you want.
Smother it in your favorite sauce.
Maybe add some wine to it.
Place the covered pot in the pit and cover it with a piece of plywood.
Cover the plywood with dirt.
After 2-3 days dig up the pot.
Then you throw the javelina away and eat the plywood.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: February 27th, 2019, 12:38 pm
Boriqua wrote: February 27th, 2019, 11:20 am May be a bit off topic but .. is there anything cool you can do with Javalina after you have taken it? I am not a hunter so forgive my ignorance .. does the leather tan well, can you eat it or is it just a sport animal.
The best recipe for javelina I know of was told to me by a chef at a prime rib restaurant.
He said to dig a pit.
Build a fire and let it burn down to coals.
Put the javelina in a pot with potatoes , onions , and whatever other vegetables you want.
Smother it in your favorite sauce.
Maybe add some wine to it.
Place the covered pot in the pit and cover it with a piece of plywood.
Cover the plywood with dirt.
After 2-3 days dig up the pot.
Then you throw the javelina away and eat the plywood.
That was hysterical! : )
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I knew something was up when he said to "put it in a pot!"
I have to agree, Javalina is not my favorite tasting game. My dad tried cooking it every way he could think of, and anyone who was willing to give a recipe. Still could taste it.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

I know a guy that loves the stuff so he gets them. I personally don't like them, any other game meat I love. My favorite by far is bear but I won't shoot another one just for meat. Most people do not like them so I am given it alot
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

If people would call it what it is then no one would eat that nasty s***. Its mutated sewer rat that drinks it's own piss and eats it's own sheit and tastes accordingly.

Anyone who eats that s*** should be referred to a psychiatrist for evaluation re munchausen syndrome.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Crippledtrigger wrote: February 28th, 2019, 6:47 am If people would call it what it is then no one would eat that nasty s***. Its mutated sewer rat that drinks it's own piss and eats it's own sheit and tastes accordingly.

Anyone who eats that s*** should be referred to a psychiatrist for evaluation re munchausen syndrome.
Not knowing Jack about Javalina and its history of consumption .. I wonder if it has a following as "poor People food Romanticism"

When I was young some of the elders would eat Tripe and when they made beans they would season them with pigs feet. Yup as a kid I would look in the pot and there were pigs feet floating around in there. Now these people werent poor but they always had this story of "yea when we were young and poor there was no ..... and this is how you made do"

Oh and Chitlins OMFG how does anyone eat that ... but same thing .. "oh back in the day"

I figure .. yup I must be a spoiled b**** because if I aint got to eat that sh*t I am not!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

What a bunch of sissies. :-)
Protein is protein. You think pigs and turkeys eat fine cuisine? That gonna stop me from eating ribs and Thanksgiving dinner? Rat, dog, cat, pig, whatever. Put plenty of seasoning on it to mask the taste, and chow down. (Why do you think MRE packages have hot sauce in them?)
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Last one I shot: 2016 (Got rained out in 2017, was in a javelina-free zone in 2018, busy so didn't put in for 2019.)
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: February 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm Last one I shot: 2016 (Got rained out in 2017, was in a javelina-free zone in 2018, busy so didn't put in for 2019.)
Questions!! Is that a 45 or 10mm and did you do anything col with the kill? At minimum I would have made some interesting jewelry with the teeth!

edited to add
Man that looks like real deal bluing .. man I love real bluing and not paint or parkerize. Even when its worn it still looks cool.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

The pistol is an old Clackamas Kimber .45. I bought it from the widow of a very dear friend of mine who died unexpectedly, quite young. Obviously, he had carried and used the gun a lot. Since then, I have had it refinished by Robar (Roguard) and installed TruGlo TFO sights. I carry it often, and shoot it often.

I skinned the javelina in the field and only brought the carcass home, leaving the skin and the head for the scavengers. I cubed the meat, and put it into the crockpot with a bottle of Baby Ray's barbecue sauce. (99% sugar, how can you go wrong?) It was fine. You could barely taste the bugs and worms that it had fed on.