Dove hunting

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Hedley lamarr 23
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Dove hunting

Post by Hedley lamarr 23 »

Anybody going tomorrow?.. September 1st :violin:..

Hedley lamarr 23

Re: Dove hunting

Nobody?.. You didn't Miss much :doh:
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm, bird and small game used to be my favorite food source supplement,...

Dove have moved onto my place so thick they are weighing down the limbs of my big pine trees with their droppings! :D When cold weather rolls in, they have hung out here so long that the old ones just sit on the ground to die. My Akita/Lab b**** loves them for breakfast, with a fresh dug gopher dessert! :D

And while I am spewing about game birds,...if I am ever in the mood for quail (like never), I started a brush pile / wind break for my pistol range, a few years back, that they moved into and have had dozens of chicks every year to the point that the population is consistently between 50 and 75 birds,... 20 feet off my back porch.

Then there are cotton tails coming in from the back pasture for the horse trough overflow when times get dry. Tried one many years ago, ... desert cottontails don't measure up to my Maine dining experience, when I was younger.

I think these and many other food critters come around our place because we raise all our own meat for consumption, and have no need to prey on them. Funny how that works out. Kinda like the deer that move on the place every deer season.

No one replied to you Headly Lamarr 23, so I thought I would share, a little, while waiting for my second pot of coffee. :violin:
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

No doves here yet, but an annual tradition is to head to Alabama for the dove opener there, which is always the second Saturday of September. We spent this weekend tuning up with the shotguns and we leave for Alabama on Friday.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

I had a had pretty good opening weekend. Lots of white wings. Way more than mourning doves this season. Makes me think that second season may suck this year after the white wings move down to Mexico.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

one of the thinner years I can remember down south of Arizona City... very few Doves flying, had to jump them out of the trees.
brandonsmash

Post by brandonsmash »

Opening weekend was pretty sparse for me. I might try somewhere out west since I'm working over there this afternoon, but my normal hunting ground has been disappointing so far in comparison to last year when I limited or nearly limited every time I went out.
Zanehenson
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Zanehenson »

I way down south in the San Raphael Valley area. It’s my first year dove hunting down here and it’s been terrible, 13 birds opening morning, and two the following mourning. I’m hoping that it’s just an off year down here.
edstarks

Post by edstarks »

Interested in resurrecting this thread. I had a terrible time the early season last year. I was out opening day and didn't even see a lot of hunters. It was oddly quiet so I am wondering if this was really due to the issues that G&F talked about or if it was just a bad year. I hunted between US60 and AZ Farms Rd off 79. Plenty of water too.
Hedley lamarr 23

Looking forward myself to a better season this yr... Its hard when you live in chandler to try to find a local spot.. You have to drive a bit further every year... Some of my friends arent as motivated to get up real early to shoot doves.. But im game.. See what happens :pray:
Hedley lamarr 23

Well....anybody have a good time the last couple days?... Too hot for me... Works been too busy... Let us know if you have had some success... Thanks
Hedley lamarr 23

Nobody has gone Dove hunting?
knedgecko

Post by knedgecko »

I go nearly every weekend in season. Either near Casa Grande where I live, or with my buddy over near San Tan area.
On the 8th with a single barrel 20 gauge I got 5, so that isn't too bad I suppose.
Buddy with his over/under 12 got 7.