Outside the window

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
TriggerFish
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Outside the window

Post by TriggerFish »

The mini feeder was a big Xmas hit with the locals
I had to refill 5x today alone

QuangTri

Re: Outside the window

Post by QuangTri »

I have a larger one hanging in the yard. Last summer it seemed to really go fast, too fast.

My brother clued me into bats stealing it at night. Started bringing it in and the usage got back to what i would expect.

A window mount might be safe from them.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

QuangTri wrote: December 30th, 2023, 3:54 pm I have a larger one hanging in the yard. Last summer it seemed to really go fast, too fast.

My brother clued me into bats stealing it at night. Started bringing it in and the usage got back to what i would expect.

A window mount might be safe from them.
Yeah, we had that problem. The woman was all happy about it attracting pretty hummingbirds, but she flipped out when she saw the bats congregating all around it one night. She insisted that we were going to in no way contribute to feeding flying rats, so the feeder was taken down.
bats at hummingbird feeder.jpg
I asked her what about the quail seed block? She loves seeing the quail and doves and rabbits all hang around it. Yeah, but what about all the mice and rodents that come around at night?
field mouse quail seed.jpg

So no more quail block.

She hates me now.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

If it wasn't for those flying rats , there would be no saguaro cactus.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

We used to do the hand feeders with our backyard hummingbirds, they are pretty interesting.

cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

not completely "on topic" but does anyone have a surefire way to get rid of packrats?

I got home from deployment and they made a nest behind the dash of my RZR in the garage and there is rat poop everywhere throughout the garage.

Help?!?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

cool arrow wrote: December 31st, 2023, 11:36 am not completely "on topic" but does anyone have a surefire way to get rid of packrats?

I got home from deployment and they made a nest behind the dash of my RZR in the garage and there is rat poop everywhere throughout the garage.

Help?!?
No surefire way.
A friend of mine had problems with them trying to make nest under the hoods of his vehicles.
Now he keeps the hoods open and a light bulb burning under the vehicles at night.
He hasn't had a problem since.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

We had this friendly and non-venomous guy living on our property for a number of years, and he kept our population of rodents in check. Every now and then I'd come across him and get a surprise when my ancient lizard brain momentarily thought he was a rattler. But we made an effort to ensure he was never molested, and he blessed us with not being overrun by ground squirrels and other rodents. I haven't seen him for a few years now, but some other fella must have made their home here, because I haven't seen a jump in scurrying critters.

It is not legal to go out and capture and remove and re-home snakes unless licensed by Game & Fish. However,...if you find a way to get hold of a Bull Snake like this one and have a nice ready-made burrow for them on your property,...it's a lovely natural way to address the matter.

xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Good snek
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Love that feeder Trigger