evidently Javalina are not nuisance animals !

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

evidently Javalina are not nuisance animals !

Post by Boriqua »

I'm no hunter but I also believed they were nuisance animals like coyote. Guess I might be wrong on coyote too

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/01/26/col ... -surprise/

Suck My Glock

Re: evidently Javalina are not nuisance animals !

Post by Suck My Glock »

Javelina CAN be dangerous, but are usually not. They have horrible eye sight, so it is possible to just walk right up to them if you are quiet and upwind. I've seen people actually walk up to them and give them a swift kick in the butt to motivate them to leave. I wouldn't recommend that, because it COULD turn on you and mess you up pretty good with its tusks.

But walk up to it and bash its head in for giggles?

Somebody needs to whack Roger on his pee pee.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 26th, 2023, 5:15 pm Javelina CAN be dangerous, but are usually not. They have horrible eye sight, so it is possible to just walk right up to them if you are quiet and upwind. I've seen people actually walk up to them and give them a swift kick in the butt to motivate them to leave. I wouldn't recommend that, because it COULD turn on you and mess you up pretty good with its tusks.

But walk up to it and bash its head in for giggles?

Somebody needs to whack Roger on his pee pee.
Yes I can't imagine walking up and taking a bat to an animal for shits and giggles but that is just me
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

they will SHRED small animals-dogs, cats, etc

whatever the case, that kid should be penalized, he did that for the "sheer joy" of it, which is sick.
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

Keep an eye on this kid. In his future he is going places...that none of us want to be. As I recall serial killers and many sicko killers start with this kind of behavior.
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

jrleen wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:37 am Keep an eye on this kid. In his future he is going places...that none of us want to be. As I recall serial killers and many sicko killers start with this kind of behavior.
Do you really have to be "that guy??"
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

Remember, there's a Javalina season with rules on what can be used to take them.
Coyotes can be taken anytime with just a hunting license.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I think a lot of people hear about the feral hog hunting in Texas and think they’re the same as a javelina. They look similar-ish but are not the same animal and have completely different rules for taking (even in TX).
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Yes, no animal deserves that absent an attack on, or danger to, you or your's.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

He then goes up to the wild animal and swings the bat full force at its head, knocking it over. The javelina begins seizing, and Alexander turns toward the camera smiling and laughing,
I can take or leave javelina's, but that is not cool.
OMart

Post by OMart »

Yeah, the began seizing thing really bothered me. No point in being cruel to an animal just because you can.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

First - should he have done this? No...

Do I condone what this kid did? Not at all...

Is he automatically a serial killer because he did this? Nope.

Will his punishment be overly severe? Yep... I predict that the punishment that he's going to get is going to be radically worse than the crime - and many who will pile on against him are people who would go out and harvest a deer or elk for sport (something that I think is just fine).

Is it wrong to kill an animal "just because"? Well - yes... and no... While most hunters harvest game responsibly and make good use of the animal after harvesting it - the reality is that the vast majority of hunters, in Arizona anyway, do so as sport. There are very very few, if any, true subsistence hunters in AZ. In other words, if there were no hunting licenses sold in AZ, essentially no families would starve. In almost all cases in AZ, the legal harvesting of an animal is not something that people are driven to by need - we do it because we love the challenge and thrill of the hunt. Like it or not - while this kid appears to be an idiot, its somewhat hypocritical to suggest that his killing an animal for the thrill of it is completely different from what thousands of hunters do every year. Is it "different" - absolutely - but suggesting that the fact that his desire to kill an animal is totally aberrant is also stupid. Most of us hunters, if we are honest with ourselves, will admit that the thrill of stalking, and taking an animal, the mastery over nature, the knowledge that we can take an animal for food if we truly need to, are things that drive us.

Hunting ethically is important. Doing it legally is also important (for other reasons). This kid failed in the second of those requirements and certainly to some degree in the first - although if you take emotion out of it - is whacking a javalina over the head with a bat, killing it by brain injury, dramatically less humane than killing it with a poorly placed shot through a non-vital area and having it die over a couple of hours when you can't find it? Asking seriously - which is less humane? Should we be demanding the end of hunting or the jailing of hunters for a poorly placed shot? What about a a shot that is poorly placed because the hunter overestimates their ability to make a long range shot? Seriously - take the emotion out of it and ask yourself which is actually worse for the critter.

The crazies will be out to have this kid thrown in jail... you'll have nutbag "animals are people too" folks showing up at his hearings demanding that the court ruin his life. I'm not saying that he should have no consequences... I'm saying that I expect the consequence to not fit the crime - due to pressure from the nut-cases.

Let he who did nothing stupid between 15 and 20 cast the first stone...
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Nate, THANK YOU. I couldn't agree more.
BigNate wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:56 pm First - should he have done this? No...

Do I condone what this kid did? Not at all...

Is he automatically a serial killer because he did this? Nope.

Will his punishment be overly severe? Yep... I predict that the punishment that he's going to get is going to be radically worse than the crime - and many who will pile on against him are people who would go out and harvest a deer or elk for sport (something that I think is just fine).

Is it wrong to kill an animal "just because"? Well - yes... and no... While most hunters harvest game responsibly and make good use of the animal after harvesting it - the reality is that the vast majority of hunters, in Arizona anyway, do so as sport. There are very very few, if any, true subsistence hunters in AZ. In other words, if there were no hunting licenses sold in AZ, essentially no families would starve. In almost all cases in AZ, the legal harvesting of an animal is not something that people are driven to by need - we do it because we love the challenge and thrill of the hunt. Like it or not - while this kid appears to be an idiot, its somewhat hypocritical to suggest that his killing an animal for the thrill of it is completely different from what thousands of hunters do every year. Is it "different" - absolutely - but suggesting that the fact that his desire to kill an animal is totally aberrant is also stupid. Most of us hunters, if we are honest with ourselves, will admit that the thrill of stalking, and taking an animal, the mastery over nature, the knowledge that we can take an animal for food if we truly need to, are things that drive us.

Hunting ethically is important. Doing it legally is also important (for other reasons). This kid failed in the second of those requirements and certainly to some degree in the first - although if you take emotion out of it - is whacking a javalina over the head with a bat, killing it by brain injury, dramatically less humane than killing it with a poorly placed shot through a non-vital area and having it die over a couple of hours when you can't find it? Asking seriously - which is less humane? Should we be demanding the end of hunting or the jailing of hunters for a poorly placed shot? What about a a shot that is poorly placed because the hunter overestimates their ability to make a long range shot? Seriously - take the emotion out of it and ask yourself which is actually worse for the critter.

The crazies will be out to have this kid thrown in jail... you'll have nutbag "animals are people too" folks showing up at his hearings demanding that the court ruin his life. I'm not saying that he should have no consequences... I'm saying that I expect the consequence to not fit the crime - due to pressure from the nut-cases.

Let he who did nothing stupid between 15 and 20 cast the first stone...
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I don't know Nate. I'm not a hunter. Never been hunting so I can be completely talking out of my a$$.... But

I have listened to hunting stories and thought there was a lot more to the act of hunting besides taking the animal.

Head out to the wilderness, perhaps set up camp, look for clues, stalk the animal and basically enjoy the outdoors. Taking the animal,except for the thrill of making the shot, seems almost anti climatic.

That is a very different experience than killing a living thing for laughs I think.

I'm certainly not a PETA rep, have no issues with hunting and my log book is chock full of stupid $hit I did between 15 and 20 but while I am no holy roller... I was raised christian and Something seems down in the soul wrong with taking a bat to some animals head and watching it sieze for the thrill and laughs. Seems evil. Couldn't do it.

There is no good part of the hunt... Just violence for amusement sake. I was just raised different.

Just my opinion and worth what it costs
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have been hunting for well over 50 years.
To compare what this guy did to hunting is absolutely ridiculous.

" This guys punishment will be overly sever ".
He will probably get a plea on the animal cruelty. Maybe do some probation. If so , it will probably be unsupervised.
Then he will pay the fine for killing the animal without a license.
Pay the fine for killing it out of season or poaching.
Have his hunting license revoked , which I doubt he has or has ever had. So that won't matter to him.
As far as I am concerned he won't be punished enough.