Who is getting the Dove Hunting itch?

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
LeeValley
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Who is getting the Dove Hunting itch?

Post by LeeValley »

Live up in Payson and got me a couple new to me 20 gauges I am itching to give a run. Found a good spot two years ago up here and have killed a couple limits. Have a cop buddy and he loves dove hunting and has some spots down in the Valley. He and his Lady had a new son and he wisely has saved some of his FMLA for hunting season. We were talking and he is going to take the first week of dove season off. As luck would have it my mom lives just down the street from him so thinking I will be spending the first week of September in the Valley. Dove Hunting was my first hunting love and those old feels are starting to comeback😁

Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Re: Who is getting the Dove Hunting itch?

Post by Old Jeff H »

I haven't been dove hunting in about 30 years! We had lots of good spots when I was living in Tucson. I'd love to go again some day.
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

I was really more into big game hunting but the worm has turned as of late. We have elk that are frequent visitors to where I am living and it is getting harder and harder to want to hunt them. Fortunately I have several friend who are good at getting them so am getting donations😊 just thankful we don't get deer in here...where do you live now?
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Tempe
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The Eurasian Ring Neck Dove population is exploding in the southeast valley. They need to be hunted to get rid of them. I believe there are expanded seasons and bag limits on the Eurasians. I could get a dozen every morning in my yard.... Hunting is allowed south of the 202 but finding a place to do it nearly impossible. The Dairy at Chandler Heights and Val Vista is now 400 homes. I love dove hunting but its become so hard in the valley as all the farm land moves out farther and farther. Still many opportunity's exist if you want to travel.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

h8pvmnt wrote: June 12th, 2021, 7:02 am The Eurasian Ring Neck Dove population is exploding in the southeast valley. They need to be hunted to get rid of them. I believe there are expanded seasons and bag limits on the Eurasians. I could get a dozen every morning in my yard.... Hunting is allowed south of the 202 but finding a place to do it nearly impossible. The Dairy at Chandler Heights and Val Vista is now 400 homes. I love dove hunting but its become so hard in the valley as all the farm land moves out farther and farther. Still many opportunity's exist if you want to travel.
You can kill all the Eurasian dove you want all year long.
There is no limit or season for them.
All you need is a hunting license.
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

We got em up in Payson but mostly an urban bird here. I did manage to scratch a few during September dove season last year. On a side note our Wal-Mart had 5 boxes of shotgun shells today. 2 410, 2 16ga and 1 20ga so I grabbed the 410 and 20ga. Its going be interesting how folks acquire ammo to dove and quail hunt this year.
Copperhead
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Copperhead »

h8pvmnt wrote: June 12th, 2021, 7:02 am The Eurasian Ring Neck Dove population is exploding in the southeast valley. They need to be hunted to get rid of them. I believe there are expanded seasons and bag limits on the Eurasians. I could get a dozen every morning in my yard.... Hunting is allowed south of the 202 but finding a place to do it nearly impossible. The Dairy at Chandler Heights and Val Vista is now 400 homes. I love dove hunting but its become so hard in the valley as all the farm land moves out farther and farther. Still many opportunity's exist if you want to travel.
Designated invasive species, open 365 days a year no bag limit.
This was the last time I read the regs. I will download 2021 and see if it's still in there.
Copperhead

Post by Copperhead »

edstarks
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by edstarks »

Holy hell I can't wait for September. I haven't missed an opening day for as long as I can remember. I am working on getting my shotguns ready!
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

I got some food for my 20 gauges yesterday picked up 3 12gauge flats 300 rounds at Wal-Mart and traded them for 200 7.5 and 100 8's in 20 gauge, really looking forward to Sept 1st😁
onthefly

Post by onthefly »

The collared dove can be hunted with pellet guns which have lighter regulations than firearms
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

Plans are getting firm, looks like 1st thru the 5th in the Valley hunting out West. Have a better stash of 20 GA than I thought. More than enough to shoot horrible the first 5 days😁
Edge

Post by Edge »

I will get my daughter dove hunting this year. She's been loving quail hunting any we were drawn for Whitetail. The dove hunting will make her a crack shot.
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

Always awesome to get the young ones involved. Have a blast dove hunting.