Advice for Cali road-trip to Sacramento

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Advice for Cali road-trip to Sacramento

Post by pneuby »

Heah all, hoping for some input and guidance on this. I have to drive to a small town north of Sacramento. I see that leaving L.A. northhbound on the I-5, there's a point where I could divert onto
SR99. This route would take me through the heart of the bread-basket, LOL. Bakersfield, Visalia, Merced, Lodi (Six-Million Dollar Man), etc.

The pluses I am sure would be some better and frequent road-stop choices. Both for nature, and grub, LOL. The downside is, how well is that road maintained, and whether I am looking at gridlock
for each little burg that I must transit through? IF I stayed on the I-5, is there still relatively decently spaced exits for nature calls? Would the mountain views be worth it?

On the subject of RKBA, I am pretty certain I have to stop before the border. I must lock-up the EMPTY GAT in the back of my car, with ammo somewhere else in my car. That sound about right?

Gracias for the assist. :)

zonie77

Re: Advice for Cali road-trip to Sacramento

Post by zonie77 »

I haven't taken it. Look it up on wikipedia, a lot of info. This is intersting, https://ca-17.com/SR-99

Update this if you take it. It sounds like a good alternative to the interstate.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I've driven SR99 from LA to Sacramento. It's a crap shoot. One major accident can ruin either route. Other than an accident, they are nearly identical in time and distance. The I-5 takes you right by Andersen's Pea Soup, so it's got that going for it. But, SR99 has a lot more opportunities for exits with all the amenities...goes through a lot more towns.

If you want views, you should take SR-1, PCH. I-5 vs SR-99 just puts the mountain on your left or your right. They look the same from either direction.

You're f*** on guns either way.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I 5 can be real fast, not a whole lot to visualize, a few spots, stops are easy, i used to get to alemeda from my house in phoenix, 750 miles door to door in shade over 10 hours, minimal stops, usual food fair, to get decent food one must venture off at main exits, petrol seemed plentiful but pricey, but what isn't in comiland, now i haven't taken this trip in 2 years, only down side is if the pickers are picking tomatores, onion, ect, as the trucks carring on 5 stack up, they tend to hold back traffic, playing hopscotch with the four wheelers, gendarmes have their spots, but careful review one can see them or get the ''feel''

i have taken the older state routes, can be fun, lots more to see, somewhat slower, occassional disruption of traffic, but overall decent result if one wants off the beaten path.
good luck, comiland can and is bootiful in spots, the people on the other hand, not so much
Rj
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Man, I want to take the PCH all the way up the coast one day.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Rock Hardson wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 6:53 pm Man, I want to take the PCH all the way up the coast one day.
I've driven a lot of it, small bits at a time. Someday, I want to do the entire route on a motorcycle. CA has some beautiful windy roads scattered around the state.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

QuietM4 wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 7:17 pm
Rock Hardson wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 6:53 pm Man, I want to take the PCH all the way up the coast one day.
I've driven a lot of it, small bits at a time. Someday, I want to do the entire route on a motorcycle. CA has some beautiful windy roads scattered around the state.
That is probably the best way to do it.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

When do you plan on going, I'll be going up there twice in May.

If you plan on specific stop anywhere from 10 to 210 to 5 to Sac, let me know if you're wanting anything specific and I'll suggest what I know.

I both rode the motorcycle and drove the truck. Traffic is super easy in the early AM(around 4a to 6am) which is leaving Glendale/Pasadena. There will be some heavy winds on some area. I will assume you're driving, if so then you won't have to worry much about wind as you do on the bike.

I-5. there's plenty Loves/Pilot gas station, and in between the first half and last half they are pretty affordable. If you have Costco, there's one off the 5 from LA and another near Sacramento. Best is opening time to avoid long line before leaving LA. There will be typical fast food by/at gas station.

There's Chevron right halfway the point that is the most expensive, over $4 a gallon. (Southside exit with Subway), the price sign are way off which how I learned lol.

I've eaten random snacks/cheap jerky from these gas station, stomach doesn't have an issue. There's quite some pull off the exit for piss you can do since it'll get bit scarce of traffic exiting/entering freeway. There's enough rest area that might suit you for snack/drink vending machine.

Pancake Circus in Sac is pretty decent, think of it kinda like The Place type of meal but with old fashion that will make you feel like you're back in the 80s and older enviroment. Mask at door but can dine in

I didn't wear mask last time(a month ago?) at all gas stations, so you'll be good to go. Most places don't allow dine in but most are opening up. Some place WILL deny you from entering if you don't have mask on. One place employees were screaming and shooing me out the store. So I'd just leave my motorcycle helmet on and all is fine hah!

Border will be cali stop, you don't actually stop and they'll wave you by.

Chevron off the I10 on 95 before Cali border is going to be your last cheap gas. If needed, you can carry gas jugs and fill it up so you can use the leftover cheap gas while in CA lol

There's barely any cops except for the first 20 mile passing the CA border and one before India(downhill).

Guns, who has it? We certainly would never conceal carry. ;)

I havent been on the SR99 since I was on limited on time, but traffic isn't bad compared to pre covid which helps. If you have time, it should be pretty decent.

PCH is awesome, a must ride/drive and pull off any random turns for cool canyon driving.

Sam's Club are also in Thousand Palm(you won't see the sign,) IF you're going on 210, S Lone Hill ave is right off the freeway(South) Sams's and Costco.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I make that drive a couple times a year.
You don't get stopped at the border. There is a checkpoint. You roll down your window, they look at you to see if you look like an illegal, then they wave you through. May not even come to a complete stop. Once they asked about fruit. Never searched, never asked about guns. OTOH, if your car is covered with bumper stickers that say "Eff the pigs," or "Allah Akhbar" or "NRA" them maybe they will want a closer look; I have no idea.

Plenty of rest areas and truck stops along the way. To miss the LA traffic, divert north on 57 to 210 through Pasadena, then pick up I-5 just before Santa Clarita.

I have taken SR99 a couple of times. Dumpy roads. Dumpy towns. Nothing much interesting. For speed and convenience, stick with I-5.

As noted, fill up the gas tank before you cross into California. Ehrenberg is last chance. From Ehrenberg to Blythe (4 or 5 miles), gas goes up 50 cents to a dollar a gallon.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

I used to jump through the Kali gun hoops when traveling there.
If you need to get to your firearm on the road it will take a bit of time.
You cannot carry it around, so the only time it is close by is at the place you stay at.
I just found it too much BS.
I just don't bring one anymore. The Kali cops love Az vehicles with our tinted windows, no front plate, and we all carry guns all the time.
Hedley lamarr 23

Post by Hedley lamarr 23 »

Sounds like it could be an... Interesting journey 😂....good luck and have fun
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Survived, and have returned. Place is truly like a foreign land, LOL. More after some rest....
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

pneuby wrote: April 26th, 2021, 5:38 am Survived, and have returned. Place is truly like a foreign land, LOL. More after some rest....
haha, surviving is one thing, but the bullshiat one has to deal with and the sorry state of affairs, hopefully it doesn't leave some sort of scar on your physic, as per friends and acquaintances, your physic has been in question for years. :whistle:
Rj
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Regarding transporting guns in CA: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Had to get to Oroville, Home of RCBS. About 65mis north of Sac. Left Friday at 7pm. Stayed 10 west, to 5 north. Got up past Pyramid Lake, in the Tejon-Lebec area, and decided to pull off, around 445am. Got a Motel 6, but unable to sleep on the squishy mattress, caught my 2nd wind, and got back on the haul. Made it there by about 11am, at 800-ish miles.

Took him a couple hours to get his laundry done, say good byes, and show me a few things in town.
Very much like Prescott. Then, we both got back on the road. This time, I did the 99 back south. I even hit a few guns stores in Sac coming back. See the specific post, LOL. Made it all the way to Fresno before we decided to stop for the evening, so I was up for basically 24+hrs.

Logged about 90mins of sleep at a Roadside Inn, then an unauthorized dog in the neighboring room started up barking. So, back on the road, LOL. We just took hour naps at truck stops and made it into the heart of LA around 3pm. We wanted to try for Roscoes, but the line was around 100 deep even at that hour. NOT. So, we walk around the several blocks comprising the Walk of Fame. Then, back down to Venice beach so he could get some selfies, LOL. By 6pm, we were eating KBBQ on Western ave, just north of the 10. Quite possibly the best such place I've ever tried. Then 10 East back to Freedom here in Az, with just pit-stop/naps along the way.

All in all, the 99 kept you alert with changing scenery, and some sort of civilization at nearly every exit. However, with a lot of 2-lane stretches, and construction improvements, much slower-going then the 5. WHEW!