Wolves-Ranchers must be elated

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
xerts1911
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Wolves-Ranchers must be elated

Post by xerts1911 »

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/202 ... five-year/
I know they have their place in the big scheme of things, but? Its just a good thing they don’t get as big as the Timber Wolf. Have you seen one out in the wild?

jls in az

Re: Wolves-Ranchers must be elated

Post by jls in az »

Here's the really good news- The wolves can't be removed from the ESL until there are at least 500 established as a population SOUTH of the border in Mexico.
Edge

Post by Edge »

xerts1911 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 11:14 am https://arizonadailyindependent.com/202 ... five-year/
I know they have their place in the big scheme of things, but? Its just a good thing they don’t get as big as the Timber Wolf. Have you seen one out in the wild?
Nearly 50 years ago we had a male grey Sonoran Wolf hanging around the ranch in Luna County, NM.

Was no coincidence that about the same time he was spotted we were raising an orphaned mule deer fawn.

First time I saw the Wolf I was out rabbit hunting with a .22 Nylon. The fawn followed me everywhere like a dog including on hunts. The Wolf circled us about 150 yards out for sometime, assessing the risk or reward of coming in for a meal.

The next time I would have a close look at a grey was a timberwolf on the southern passage AK in 2000. I was working on a 150' fishing boat when we came across a small maybe 18' craft with a dead outboard motor. The operator of the boat had been Wolf hunting on a nearby island and had a dead wolf with him in the boat. It was huge, the size of a medium AZ black bear. It was an eye opening experience, I had no idea wolves got that big.

I've since seen several of the red wolf/dog hybrids released in AZ. They've made it to several units far and away from their intended hunting grounds.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Edge wrote: March 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm
xerts1911 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 11:14 am https://arizonadailyindependent.com/202 ... five-year/
Nearly 50 years ago we had a male grey Sonoran Wolf hanging around the ranch in Luna County, NM.

Was no coincidence that about the same time he was spotted we were raising an orphaned mule deer fawn.

First time I saw the Wolf I was out rabbit hunting with a .22 Nylon. The fawn followed me everywhere like a dog including on hunts. The Wolf circled us about 150 yards out for sometime, assessing the risk or reward of coming in for a meal.

The next time I would have a close look at a grey was a timberwolf on the southern passage AK in 2000. I was working on a 150' fishing boat when we came across a small maybe 18' craft with a dead outboard motor. The operator of the boat had been Wolf hunting on a nearby island and had a dead wolf with him in the boat. It was huge, the size of a medium AZ black bear. It was an eye opening experience, I had no idea wolves got that big.

I've since seen several of the red wolf/dog hybrids released in AZ. They've made it to several units far and away from their intended hunting grounds.
Yep. That dead one prob had you re-evaluating a few things. Can you imagine that thing HUNGRY and on the move right at you.

No thanks!
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Sity ubu sit..
Edge

Post by Edge »

DevilDocAZ wrote: March 14th, 2021, 7:53 am
Edge wrote: March 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Yep. That dead one prob had you re-evaluating a few things. Can you imagine that thing HUNGRY and on the move right at you.

No thanks!
It did. Considering their intelligence and they hunt in packs...
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

I’ve only seen them in captivity, zoo in Prescott has a few corralled, just a tad larger than a yote from what I could tell, it would definitely be easy to confuse the two while hunting
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

Wolves in Alaska are massive. They are intelligent and love to kill. I've watched them go through a heard of caribou and bring down dozens of animals without stopping to eat any of it.
cy0t3hntr
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by cy0t3hntr »

Old cowboy I knew said he had seen that behavior in mt lions. They will just kill to kill.