I17 to route 87.. AZs Darien Gap?

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
iotarho
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

I17 to route 87.. AZs Darien Gap?

Post by iotarho »

Spent a bit of time in the Mazatzal and Bloody Basin and I've always been curious whether you can do an OHV "crossing" from I17 to 87 in the wilderness north of Phoenix and south of the 260--and what kind of setup you'd need? Are the two big obstacles the Verde and the Mazatzal Range?

Longhair1957
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: I17 to route 87.. AZs Darien Gap?

Post by Longhair1957 »

I used google earth, looks like if you go around the south end of bartlet lake. There are trails and two track that go all the way to the old 87.

I think, unless it hits locked gates or impassable obstacles.

I’ve never tried but it looks fun.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

A few years ago you could have crossed at Childs if the Verde was low and gone up Fossil Creek to Strawberry but that section is closed down now. The only way out of Childs is back towards Camp Verde You can get to Bartlett Lake from the 87 side but I am not sure on getting on over to the 17. I haven't spent enough time on that side of the river down low.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I think Vinnie B is spot on. I don't believe there are any roads that will get you across the Verde on the North end anymore. On the South end, you can get across North of Horseshoe. There's a place to ford the Verde River at least seasonally when the water isn't raging. Obviously, that's still vehicle dependant. I believe you can take a dirtbike across the sheep bridge there too, but I doubt you're supposed to do that.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I just found trail Srv fr393. Goes from sunflower to below the Bartlett lake