AZ Game and Fish Commision votes 5-0 to ban trail cameras

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Isnake
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AZ Game and Fish Commision votes 5-0 to ban trail cameras

Post by Isnake »

redj wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm What a shame.
Now everyone will have to get out of their trucks and hike around to do their scouting.
Yep. Last deer hunt we were about 10 miles west of Payson watching a forest road on a ridge that was looking more like a freeway. People stopped, glassed from their trucks, glassed us, set up their binoc tripods etc. we were only a few miles off the road and saw no less than 20 deer on the far side of the next hill over, it was pretty funny. If they had gotten off of the roads....well anyway. One thing that blew our minds was a heard of elk that just moseyed past us. I had no idea there were elk there as we never put in for elk there. 100’ away and they just eyeballed us....as if they knew it wasn't elk season.

Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I didn’t really get this, till my oldest son in law told me he had a cam on his property in New Mexico. Not for hunting, he watches his property while they are in Az. I had not been paying attention to trail cams because I’ve never used one. I get out and walk. But when I found out from son in law that he sits at his house in Arizona gets a notification that something has moved on his camera. And then he opens his app and can watch real time his property. I can totally see the way some of these guides are( dicks) I could see them putting 100 of them in an area, so they could tell where every single deer is. And then send their other guides to take the guided Hunter to his deer. What they should do is like we all know about firearms. Punish the offender not the tool.
Next will be, that rifle shoots too far, gives the Hunter too much advantage!
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

The live action cams that you’re describing are already banned.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Zanehenson wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 6:39 am As someone who works in law enforcement. I have no idea how they are going to be able to enforce this law without a 100% outright ban. The major component to any criminal crime is intent, and proof of that is what gets convictions.
My GUESS would be that there won't be much enforcement - outside of G&F confiscating / removing them when they find them. I can imagine that if / when they have a problem they may surveil the area (maybe using hidden game cameras) to gather evidence against those placing them - but that the biggest impact will be had by them simply confiscating them. Again - just guessing...
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 060785 »

Zanehenson wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 6:39 am As someone who works in law enforcement. I have no idea how they are going to be able to enforce this law without a 100% outright ban. The major component to any criminal crime is intent, and proof of that is what gets convictions.

I agree and think it’s the only way to do it without leaving the door partially open. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s written as

“ prohibit the use of trail cameras for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife”

So if my brother doesn’t have a tag, and I do, can my brother put cameras out and pull them Thursday before the hunt and share pictures with me? I can go either way on this subject. But make it written more solid. Complete ban unless on private property, or allow them.