Cool Kayak that is easy to transport

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Cool Kayak that is easy to transport

Post by Boriqua »

Practicing a little social distancing during the wuhan!!
Vee 1.JPG

What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

Boriqua wrote: August 18th, 2020, 5:25 pm
What wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:53 pm OP, I ride the Vee (06), very good to know about inflatable canoe. That's definitely going to be handy even after your experience with it. Thanks for sharing the info.
LOVE my VEE!! I have owned a sh*t ton of motorcycles over the last 42 or so years of riding. It is in my top 2 favorites!!

So you already know .. the vee has a ton of good usable power down low on the tach. It doenst even flinch with the wife and the kayak on the back and the saddle bags filled with stuff. I put it in 3rd gear a bit past needle point vista and ride it out to acacia lake. Freagin bike is awesome!

If you wait until early spring those kayaks are available near $100. We have been having a blast with it. Highly recommend!

This is the bag I landed up getting for it. Well I cant seem to make Amazon links work so here is the description you can use to look it up

Brand: WFLB
Extra Large Travel Duffel Bag Oversized Carry On Checked Luggage Bag Anti Theft Travel Tote 28'',120L

Heavier fabric and the flip open top makes loading and unlading a breeze with some room to spare. The kayak comes with a bag but its a little flimsy. Would be fine for trunk carry but not firm enough for the bike
Ive been figuring top case and this would be awesome to use instead. You're a lifesaver!

You got time to meet up? Love to check out the Vee and the bag.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

What wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:45 pm
Boriqua wrote: August 18th, 2020, 5:25 pm
What wrote: August 18th, 2020, 2:53 pm OP, I ride the Vee (06), very good to know about inflatable canoe. That's definitely going to be handy even after your experience with it. Thanks for sharing the info.
LOVE my VEE!! I have owned a sh*t ton of motorcycles over the last 42 or so years of riding. It is in my top 2 favorites!!

So you already know .. the vee has a ton of good usable power down low on the tach. It doenst even flinch with the wife and the kayak on the back and the saddle bags filled with stuff. I put it in 3rd gear a bit past needle point vista and ride it out to acacia lake. Freagin bike is awesome!

If you wait until early spring those kayaks are available near $100. We have been having a blast with it. Highly recommend!

This is the bag I landed up getting for it. Well I cant seem to make Amazon links work so here is the description you can use to look it up

Brand: WFLB
Extra Large Travel Duffel Bag Oversized Carry On Checked Luggage Bag Anti Theft Travel Tote 28'',120L

Heavier fabric and the flip open top makes loading and unlading a breeze with some room to spare. The kayak comes with a bag but its a little flimsy. Would be fine for trunk carry but not firm enough for the bike
Ive been figuring top case and this would be awesome to use instead. You're a lifesaver!

You got time to meet up? Love to check out the Vee and the bag.
I installed a large plate on the rear. I thought the top case would be limiting and I already have the sidecases. Bought a hand full of cam lock straps and this way I am not locked into the size of stuff I can haul .... I just lash it to the rack.

Hit me up on pm. I would be more than happy to have you over to check out the bike and kayak. Maybe we can get a ride in!

Edited to add
Here is the rack topper I installed soon after getting the bike. It now has a large patch of stair tread for a grippy surface.

http://www.boriqualeather.com/PMrack/

Since it's my primary transport I like that I can get large boxes or my range bag or anything unwieldy on there. With all the strap points it's great. It also has an attachment so you can install an extra gas tank but they cost extra and I don't plan on being anywhere I need extra gas.
https://www.pmracks.com/
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

Boriqua wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

So I picked this guy up for around $100
Are you one of those people like my ex who rounds down and calls $199, "$100"? :mrgreen:

All I'm seeing is $199+ for that thing or maybe it's just because demand has gone up.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Ya, anything Kayak, Paddle Board related is near unobtainable at this point. I looked at that same inflatable last year and it was well under $100.

I also have an 06 DL650, and love riding the Apache Trail. Infact after seeing your bike I think I saw you and your Wife a few months ago at Tortilla Flats.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

superdrag67 wrote: August 19th, 2020, 8:55 am
Boriqua wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

So I picked this guy up for around $100
Are you one of those people like my ex who rounds down and calls $199, "$100"? :mrgreen:

All I'm seeing is $199+ for that thing or maybe it's just because demand has gone up.
That is really funny ... and .. truth be told .. I might just be a round it down guy!!! :mrgreen:

But .. I just checked and I paid 89.99 on may 20th this year.

This late in the season all you have left are sellers that know they cant be had anymore so they jack up the price. I think intex which makes a bunch of inflatable stuff makes X amount and when they are done for the year they are done.

Same thing happened to me when I went to get a tube for my wife a couple years back. It was July and pickings were slim and EXPENSIVE. This year I got 2 awesome tubes and they were about $25 each because I got them early.

Its kind of late in the season but start looking after Xmas and they can be had cheap.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Brlux wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:09 am Ya, anything Kayak, Paddle Board related is near unobtainable at this point. I looked at that same inflatable last year and it was well under $100.

I also have an 06 DL650, and love riding the Apache Trail. Infact after seeing your bike I think I saw you and your Wife a few months ago at Tortilla Flats.
Man I wish they would open the whole trail again!! I have done it on a VTX 1800 .. wild to push that heavy bike around on that trail and I did it on my other favorite motorcycle a Triumph Bonneville. Now that was fun!

I am no dirt rider but I did take the vee up to barhardt trail. Think I would have been better off with a true dual sport like the DR650 but .. with wife on the back we did make our way up to barnhardt.

I love any bike that you dont want to get off of. The wife and I in May went out to take a short ride from my place to the parking lot at the end of North bush highway. its our go to quick jaunt when its cool and we just want a scenic short cruise. Sometimes we stop in at pebble beach to dunk our feet.

We landed up at Tanto Natural Bridge state park!!

Dont know how that happened!! We werent dressed for it, didnt have water or anything else as we were only headed out for a quick ride.

You cross over the 87 to get to that little parking lot where I usually make a U turn and head home but .. the bike decided to jump on the 87 and .. well by the time I hit Prescott I saw the signs to natural bridge and just kept going. Had no intention of going there .. was going to be back home in under an hour??

Was a great ride!
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Nice, I really miss riding the entire Apache Trail. My favorite getaway used to be riding it to Roosevelt Lake and then come home over 4 Peaks (now that is closed as well due to the fire this year). It made for a 100 mile loop about half dirt and half pavement.

My Vstrom is my least offroad dual sport. I also have 2 KLR650s 1st and 2nd gen and a KLX250.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Brlux wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:52 am Nice, I really miss riding the entire Apache Trail. My favorite getaway used to be riding it to Roosevelt Lake and then come home over 4 Peaks (now that is closed as well due to the fire this year). It made for a 100 mile loop about half dirt and half pavement.

My Vstrom is my least offroad dual sport. I also have 2 KLR650s 1st and 2nd gen and a KLX250.
Had the DR650 many years ago. Big ol thumper with no electric start. Was way out on long island on a very cold day and I nearly died trying to get that engine to turn over!! :mrgreen:

I swear one leg is still bigger than the other from kick starting that bike but .. boy it was a fun bike. I half way consider getting another now and again and remember ... I dont bounce up from the ground as well or as quickly as I once did.

Here is my daughter helping daddy clean that bike !!

She is 30 years old now and manages a restaurant .. sh*t I am old!!
skye washing bike.jpg
The Vee is no where as competent in the slippery stuff but it does the highway oh so much better than the DR did. I like that it does everything really well. Nothing great .. but everything well.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Guy caught a 34lb striper in Meade not long ago, 3hr fight, I can just imagine getting drug around the lake in a kayak with that on the end of your line, now that’s a fish story!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

36D9363C-14CD-4EC2-8BC9-2779AD6D1BF7.jpeg
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Nice, we used to pull big stripes out of Canyon back in the late 80s, haven’t seen one in quite a while.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I hit the acacia lake parking lot at 5am on Friday and the gate was unlocked. Still dark as hell out so I think they may leave it open all night. Going to try a little earlier this week.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Ya, I have been riding out there late in the evening during the middle of the week. Go swimming and cooling down. Last time I left at 1AM and it was all open.