UTV help

This is the place to talk about general outdoor activities like fishing, off-roading, hiking, camping, hunting, mountain climbing, etc...
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

UTV help

Post by thom »

I got the go ahead to start looking for a side by side UTV. I am looking for recommendations for any of them under $7000.00. Will you guys give me some help on finding one worth the money?
Thanks
Thom

DRTDIVR

Re: UTV help

Post by DRTDIVR »

What's the purpose of the SxS/how do you want to use it?

Is the $7,000 the top of your budget?

Are you mechanically inclined?

2 or 4 seater?
thom

Post by thom »

Cruising through the forest, not racing, just relaxing and getting out in nature. Getting old sucks for walking around in the woods all day. $7000.00 is about what I have to spend. I would like a newer toy for now. 2 seater with space on the back for carrying coolers and gear.

Thanks
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I ride with a group of friends. We go out every Friday somewhere different each time.
We started riding together when three wheelers and quads were the thing. Then when side by sides came out everything changed.
One of the guys I ride with bought one the first Rhino's sold in Arizona.

Over the years between all of us we have gone through quite a few side by sides of just about every make made.
We now all have Polaris. Mostly Rangers. One has a General and two have the Razors.
I prefer the Ranger. It has a bed that will carry everything I need and is easy to get in and out of.
The Razors have no bed and suck getting in and out of.
I rode in the General once in the passenger seat and that was enough for me. It was very uncomfortable. It might be alright for a lady or a kid but not for a big man.

There are lots of other good makers out there. We just all seem to have Polaris.

When you do find one make sure to drive it and get it up to speed. Don't just drive it around in a dealers lot.
Some of them are very loud and you don't really notice it until you get going pretty good.
You don't want to have to yell back and forth to your passenger.
The farther back the engine sets the quieter it will be.
For $7000 you won't find much in the new department unless you want one of the little 500cc ones they make now. I would suggest not buying one of those.
Get a 700cc or bigger. Bigger is always better.
You should be able to buy a good used side by side for $7000.
It might take awhile to find the right one , but it is out there.

If you take care of them , they will last forever.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

I bought a John Deere Gator 620i from my FIL about a year ago. The price was within your range. It goes everywhere I point it. The top speed is about 30 mph, which is too slow for some. It is too loud at road speeds for much conversation. From what I have read, the Gator is built stouter than some of those out there.

Do your research and watch the ads. You will find what you want.
shorepatrol

Post by shorepatrol »

I bought a 2010 teryx 750 t2 recently. Put on bandit shocks and rides like a Cadillac now. Very comfortable on AZ mountain trails. It beat me half to death with the stock garbage shocks. Bed is good sized and and that 750 twin has tons of torque.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

A second on the teryx. Even the t4 is short For a 4 seater and the extra room is nice even if you don’t need 4 seats. They are a bit loud (gear noise) Compared to others but will go anywhere, little bit more relaxed seating than the rangers and easy in and out. Should Be able to find a low hour one for your budget or there abouts. My only real complaint is the auto engine braking. A life saver on nasty downhills but takes some time to master the skinny pedal to keep it smooth on the Rough flats. But it’s a minor nag.
Just my $.02
0AA842A9-98A5-46F5-9C82-47BA3E27760B.png
shorepatrol

Post by shorepatrol »

AZDESERTRAT wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm A second on the teryx. Even the t4 is short For a 4 seater and the extra room is nice even if you don’t need 4 seats. They are a bit loud (gear noise) Compared to others but will go anywhere, little bit more relaxed seating than the rangers and easy in and out. Should Be able to find a low hour one for your budget or there abouts. My only real complaint is the auto engine braking. A life saver on nasty downhills but takes some time to master the skinny pedal to keep it smooth on the Rough flats. But it’s a minor nag.
Just my $.02
0AA842A9-98A5-46F5-9C82-47BA3E27760B.png
Yep, clackclackjerkjerkclack going down a hill in low. Eased up quite a bit after I put the new shocks and a throttle max on though
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I picked up an Arctic Cat Prowler 650XT a while ago, but my constraints were a bit more specific in that I needed to be able to carry 5 people (wife and three young kids), so options within my financial constraints were a bit more limited.

I ended up getting this one and have been very happy. It's a bit more noisy than would be ideal because the engine is right between the two front seats, but it offers more room and checks all the other boxes.
Attachments
20200408_145732.jpg
20200408_145745 (1).jpg
oldmanpaintball

Post by oldmanpaintball »

rzr 800 s for that budget not a 800 rzr 900 if u can find one for that price or 10k for a rzr 1000