Calling all Long Range Shooters

This is the forum to use to start organizing events or planning for them, before scheduling them.
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Calling all Long Range Shooters

Post by Doc »

I know this place is full of experts but do any of you guys shoot Looooooonnnnnggggggggg Range?

How far is long range and how often do you really get out there?

azmp5

Re: Calling all Long Range Shooters

Post by azmp5 »

The 2 places I use to go to in the desert have been closed off for a while. I've debated joining cowtown but can't get over the member price for the little bit of range time ur alloted a month for their long range range.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I'm an expert. I shoot 100 yards with a 1" long creedmore.
How can I be of AssSistance?
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I heard center fire long range is maybe 600 - 1000 and rim fire 100 to 500

I have fun most of the time shooting 400 to 1000. Longest range for me, Center fire out to 1200 yards and rim fire out to 400 yards.

I try to go out shooting at least once or twice a month in the cooler months. Summer months it depends more on the weather or I head up to higher elevations. Early morning is best but, I like to sleep in... I have gone out at daybreak a few times because I happened to wake up early... lol
G34

Post by G34 »

each caliber has different capabilities so what your shooting should dictate what LR is for that cartridge. 1000 yards used to be a staple for most but with todays components and equipment its very easy. once you start to get into the transonic MV id say your pushing some distance. once your above a certain bullet weight and speed your gonna get into ELR. I find calibers in the 300gr and up pushing 3000fps to be ELR capable.

bout once or twice a month ill practice at 700-1200.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Shooting has been on the back burner lately. Try to push past 500 monthly. 800-1200 whenever the posse feels like setting up targets and getting together for the day. Our spot is a bit of a drive for me so it's seldom spontaneous. I usually just spectate the mile since I lack effective equipment, but the boys go after it somewhat regularly. Very cool to count to 7 before you hear that plate slap.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Blue109 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 11:30 am Shooting has been on the back burner lately. Try to push past 500 monthly. 800-1200 whenever the posse feels like setting up targets and getting together for the day. Our spot is a bit of a drive for me so it's seldom spontaneous. I usually just spectate the mile since I lack effective equipment, but the boys go after it somewhat regularly. Very cool to count to 7 before you hear that plate slap.
Does the posse allow outsiders? At $5/gal I’ll gladly sit in the back of a van blindfolded if it means long range shooting and I don’t have to drive. 😂🤣

But for real, I’m looking for a group of long range buddies.
Doc

Post by Doc »

DuneShoot wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:27 pm I'm an expert. I shoot 100 yards with a 1" long creedmore.
How can I be of AssSistance?
The Legund checked in.

1”CM, does the box include little man buns? 😁
Doc

Post by Doc »

azmp5 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 2:12 pm The 2 places I use to go to in the desert have been closed off for a while. I've debated joining cowtown but can't get over the member price for the little bit of range time ur alloted a month for their long range range.
Agreed. But I might cave as a lot more guys are saying it’s good to go.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Cmoor wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 6:19 pm I heard center fire long range is maybe 600 - 1000 and rim fire 100 to 500

I have fun most of the time shooting 400 to 1000. Longest range for me, Center fire out to 1200 yards and rim fire out to 400 yards.

I try to go out shooting at least once or twice a month in the cooler months. Summer months it depends more on the weather or I head up to higher elevations. Early morning is best but, I like to sleep in... I have gone out at daybreak a few times because I happened to wake up early... lol
Lol. I too accidentally work up too early once in a while.
Doc

Post by Doc »

G34 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 12:54 am each caliber has different capabilities so what your shooting should dictate what LR is for that cartridge. 1000 yards used to be a staple for most but with todays components and equipment its very easy. once you start to get into the transonic MV id say your pushing some distance. once your above a certain bullet weight and speed your gonna get into ELR. I find calibers in the 300gr and up pushing 3000fps to be ELR capable.

Ever invite people from the internet? Just looking for a group to go with. Last think I want is the be the guy that died in the desert because his Prius broke down off road. Lol
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Doc wrote: April 24th, 2022, 9:56 am
G34 wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 12:54 am each caliber has different capabilities so what your shooting should dictate what LR is for that cartridge. 1000 yards used to be a staple for most but with todays components and equipment its very easy. once you start to get into the transonic MV id say your pushing some distance. once your above a certain bullet weight and speed your gonna get into ELR. I find calibers in the 300gr and up pushing 3000fps to be ELR capable.

Ever invite people from the internet? Just looking for a group to go with. Last think I want is the be the guy that died in the desert because his Prius broke down off road. Lol

No one likes a Prius. NO ONE
Doc

Post by Doc »

😂🤣😂