Crossroads Of The West Gun Show 9-8-18 and 9-9-18

Discuss any gun show related news, coupons, events, etc here. Make sure to include details and links.
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Crossroads Of The West Gun Show 9-8-18 and 9-9-18

Post by Flash »

As stated, located in the Ice House.

deserttrans

Re: Crossroads Of The West Gun Show 9-8-18 and 9-9-18

Post by deserttrans »

I went on Saturday. Found a couple of items I was looking for. Other than that a lot of the same old stuff and prices.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

I took my boys to their first gun show. Had a good time looking at everything, but it was indeed the same old items and prices.

No shortage of crap optics, crystals, beef jerky, jewelry and other crap.

I found lots of used long guns but not much for used hand guns that I was looking for. Often, if I did find something used, it was so over priced that it was almost cheaper to purchase it new.

Just goes to show that you are better off shopping and supporting your local small business gun shops.

But hey that's my biased opinion on things.
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

Been going to crossroads gun shows at the fairgrounds for almost 20 years and that was one of the worst I had been to. Found some small items and a couple patches to gift for xmas, but for actual firearms, it was very dull. Was trying to sell 3 handguns that were each 100 less than anything I found on tables and got nearly zero interest.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

Quake_Guy wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:51 pm Been going to crossroads gun shows at the fairgrounds for almost 20 years and that was one of the worst I had been to. Found some small items and a couple patches to gift for xmas, but for actual firearms, it was very dull. Was trying to sell 3 handguns that were each 100 less than anything I found on tables and got nearly zero interest.
What where you trying to sell?

I stopped going a couple years ago because everything was priced like a local gun store and it was becoming rare to see someone like yourself there selling privately.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

I quit going to gun shows in 2006 because they had sucked for several years.
And can only imagine how bad they are now.
steamer303
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by steamer303 »

^ ^ Yep, what the Dr. said.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

I started going to gun shows in the early 1990's. I have to agree that the bargains and "horse trading" were things that kept me coming back, just to shop and see what was being sold.

I am sure that the "bargains" are have dried up from my perspective since my view is biased by online prices such gunbroker or buds. Consumers are smarter and better educated about products and prices these days. I am also aware that dealer have to maintain a profit margin, have bills to pay, families to feed and a business to run. I just could not achieve a "win/win" deal at the last few gun shows when haggling a price or trade it always felt like a "screwed/win" situation so I walked.

I do miss the guys that were simply looking to trade or sell FTF and by pass the dealers. They have really been cracking down on a lot of the individual trading by limiting where you can stand or loiter with your personal materials to trade. I am sure that this is due to the "gun show loophole" crap that the liberal media uses to demonize gun shows.

I did have some kid offer to trade me a Jennings 380 and a 9mm Hi Point for my XD-45 that I was looking to trade for a 9mm. I thanking him for his offer and declined.

It is still fun to go and watch people and try and strike a deal that is a win/win. Emphasis on try....
Flash

Post by Flash »

There seems to be a lot of people who judge gun shows by how much guns cost there and not much else.

I've only bought a couple of guns at gun shows in the 25 or 30 years I've been going and the real bargains seem to be in other things. Books, for instance. There's a guy who sells at the Phoenix shows who really sells cheap and has a great selection
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

What I love to find is the guy who cleaned out his closet and put it all on the table at reasonable prices...
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

LOL, if you don't go you wont' find that ''fella'',

i went sunday for a bit, to see an old vendor i've known since the early 80s, he is the go to guy for all things WW2 and Korea, but alas, he says hes almost done, lotsa product isn't available and hes too long in the tooth to adjust to the new crap. he says, probably do a show or two a year, but for the most part hes throwing in the towel

Shows have definetly not stayed the same, sometimes change is or can be good, I suspect in years to come they will be no more. shame as a young man into the outdoors and guns it was or is a right of passage.
The entertainment value for me is great, the finding some misc. items is the extras, that come with the visit.
long live the gun shows
Rj
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Flash wrote: September 10th, 2018, 8:03 am There seems to be a lot of people who judge gun shows by how much guns cost there and not much else.

I've only bought a couple of guns at gun shows in the 25 or 30 years I've been going and the real bargains seem to be in other things. Books, for instance. There's a guy who sells at the Phoenix shows who really sells cheap and has a great selection
Maybe one day when I go to a book fair, I can buy a gun there along with someones old dishes, shoes that they bought at Goodwill, beef jerky, national park spoon collection, beanie babies, some decorative plates to hang on my wall, some old, rusty pie pans, a busted ass Lite Brite, etc., etc.

Or, I could go to a gun show/junk bizarre and get a cheap book (and all of the above), $17 admission and parking fees not withstanding
Quake_Guy

Post by Quake_Guy »

I have seen plenty of deals and reasons to go even in the last five years, but this last show was subpar by any standard.

To answer a prior question, had a P220 Dark Elite Threaded, Walther P1/P38 and a Ruger Security Six Stainless 6". Not your run of the mill Glocks, but then again I don't have to deal with the guys that would rush toward me seeing I had a sign and ask Glocks? The same guys I doubt could pass a NICS check.

There were several other private sellers with attractively priced guns and they mostly said they were getting little to no interest. An old timer had a 95%+ condition Combat Masterpiece with pinned barrel for $425 ask. I was going to negotiate with him if I saw him again but did not. I was in more of a trading or selling mood though.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Rock Hardson wrote: September 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm
Flash wrote: September 10th, 2018, 8:03 am There seems to be a lot of people who judge gun shows by how much guns cost there and not much else.

Maybe one day when I go to a book fair, I can buy a gun there along with someones old dishes, shoes that they bought at Goodwill, beef jerky, national park spoon collection, beanie babies, some decorative plates to hang on my wall, some old, rusty pie pans, a busted ass Lite Brite, etc., etc.

Or, I could go to a gun show/junk bizarre and get a cheap book (and all of the above), $17 admission and parking fees not withstanding
He sells gun books, not that it matters to you. Off you go to ignore.