Another fake Japanese 1911, at Parker today.

Discuss any gun show related news, coupons, events, etc here. Make sure to include details and links.
rbking
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Another fake Japanese 1911, at Parker today.

Post by rbking »

After 50+ years, figured they had all but dried up. But another showed up on a table, at Parker this morning. Geezer selling it, said he didn't know anything about it? But he had it priced, @ $400. That was what caused me to pick it up. All the local gun show hustlers are pricing their run of the mill 1911's, at twice that or more nowadays.

pneuby

Re: Another fake Japanese 1911, at Parker today.

Post by pneuby »

Reading 'tween the lines, I'm guessing these are intended to get you to think they are WWI, or II era collectors?
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

Finding a clean looking 1911 @ $400 and I'm not asking about provenance, I'm checking for functionality and taking it home lol.
rbking

Post by rbking »

pneuby wrote: March 14th, 2022, 10:46 am Reading 'tween the lines, I'm guessing these are intended to get you to think they are WWI, or II era collectors?

Japan has very, very strict gun laws. Because of this, the chance of owning a handgun by a private citizen is nil.

In the 1960's a company was set up, to cater to Japanese collectors. By making exact non functional copies of various military firearms, out of Zinc diecastings. Unfortunately they were so realistic, that the Japanese government banned their manufacture very quickly.

Most of the ones, that have shown up on this side of the pond. Were bought home by GI's that were either stationed in Japan, or on R & R their during the Viet Nam war.

Although non functional, they are so realistic. They have become collectors items in their own right. Years ago I ran across one of their Schmeisser MP 40's, that I was convinced was the real McCoy.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

LOL< you jogged the memory banks. In the early 70's, I convinced Mom to let me get a 1911A1 from what was then called, Replica Gun Corp, or perhaps Collectors Armory. Save for the plugged barrel, it was quite spooky realistic.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

Being I am Japanese, I want one just for the heck of it... lol
rbking

Post by rbking »

pneuby wrote: March 15th, 2022, 7:20 pm LOL< you jogged the memory banks. In the early 70's, I convinced Mom to let me get a 1911A1 from what was then called, Replica Gun Corp, or perhaps Collectors Armory. Save for the plugged barrel, it was quite spooky realistic.

Interesting! Didn't know any were actually exported, for commercial sale stateside. By chance do you remember what the price was?
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

rbking

Post by rbking »

pneuby wrote: March 17th, 2022, 9:19 am Somewhere around 75-80 seems to grind the gears a little. Low 200's in today's bucks?

https://collectorsarmoury.com
https://armory.net/collections/replica-guns
https://replicaweaponry.com/replica-guns/
http://www.replicaguns.com/

Thanks for the heads up.

Don't believe their the same ones, out of Japan. That I remember from back in the 70's though. They, ( the Japanese ones), were so spot on realistic, you were were convinced they were real, unless you got a through hands-on with a magnet. Only visual giveaway, was the plugged barrel.