Ben Avery: NRA/CMP Long-Gun Matches In August

This is the forum to use to discuss formal, scheduled events. Please include plenty of details.
Bill Poole
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ben Avery: NRA/CMP Long-Gun Matches In August

Post by Bill Poole »

Shooters!
Inspired by StealthyBlagga's monthly ARFCOM posts about Practical (Action shooting) long gun matches at Rio, and a desire to promote the NRA & CMP sports here are the NRA style rifle shoots for Ben Avery’s high power range, run by Desert Sharpshooters, for this month:
Always bring eye & ear protection and check the DSS calendar before heading to the range.
We always take turns alternating shooting and working targets. All shoots are open to everyone. Most shoot fees are $10 or $15 I think.
http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/

1000 yd Prone and F-class
• Thursday 9-Aug 600 yd
• Sunday 12-Aug 1000yd
• Thursday 16-Aug 600yd
• Sunday 19-Aug, 1000yd
• Sunday 26-Aug, 1000yd
• Thursday 30-Aug 1000yd
• Saturday 1-Sep 1000yd
• Sunday 9-Sep 1000yd
6:15 meet in the pits for set up – typically Three 20-shot strings plus sighters
In this match, we have 20 minutes to fire 20 shots for record, usually preceded by a few practice, or sighter shots. We do this 3 times, so bring 70 or 80 rounds.
Prone shooters use a shooting coat and sling and shoot an “olympic” style match Rifle with very fancy aperture iron sights. (very rarely a service rifle).
F-class allows bipod or sandbags and a big scope. You still lie on your shooting mat but you don’t need the sling or coat. A heavy barreled Varmint rifle or tactical type bolt action will work just fine. (lightweight hunting rifles heat up too fast for a 20 shot string to be pleasant).
If you want to try 1000 yd I strongly recommend you shoot a 500yd shoot at one of the clubs to get that zero, then use a ballistic table to find your 1000yd zero. The Long Range target is 44” black on a 6’ square cardboard. Get your shots on paper and can correct to the X-ring with your sighter shots.
Until you shoot a 500yd at the clubs, I’d recommend you come watch one of these 1000yd shoots once first before you try it.
See http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/LR-Fclass-Rifle.html for more info.

"Across the Course” & others
No XTC scheduled at Avery this month.