Competition Shooting in AZ

This is the forum to use to discuss formal, scheduled events. Please include plenty of details.
Bill Poole
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Competition Shooting in AZ

Post by Bill Poole »

Well, I have to post on this forum too something about competition!

Those who recognize my name from the other forum(s) know that I announce and promote a lot of different types of competitions! I find shooting competitions really makes the trip to the range more purposeful, demanding and satisfying... it gives you an excuse to buy lots of new guns and equipment!

Competition shooting can largely be divided into two mindsets: Precision & Action. In "Precision" you are scored on accuracy and generally you have enough time. In "Action" you are score on speed and generally you have enough target.

I tend to specialize in Precision sports: NRA, CMP, Olympic, High power, smallbore F-class, Palma, bullseye pistol, silhouette, benchrest, that kind of stuff (ironically I put trap/skeet& clays into this category). I've shot most of it and specialize in several disciplines.

I don't know as much about the Action sports: IDPA, IPSC, 2-gun, 3-gun, LRPR, PCC. I've tried most of it, but never specialized in any of it.

My website http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/ has some info on precision shooting (more coming) pictures, schedules etc.

post, PM or email questions.

Poole

Bill Poole

Re: Competition Shooting in AZ

Post by Bill Poole »

NRA Pistol Championships at Camp Perry have concluded and the Arizona Pistol Team won the civilian division of the National Trophy Pistol Team Match "Oglethorpe Trophy"!

On the listing of individual results, I see an Arizona name as the "Citizens' Military Pistol Trophy" winner. And a couple in the top 100 of the President's Pistol Match.

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php? ... atch=16352

Bullseye pistol (and its close cousin Olympic Pistol) are fired at PRGC every Tuesday evening and every other weekend. Rio Salado has a slightly less formal, but better attended, Monday evening bullseye shoot. You can use any non-magnum pistol but a full sized .22 semiauto is probably the best choice to shoot every week for your first year.

Focus on your front sight and squeeze your trigger smoothly!

The NRA ran a smaller rifle championships at Camp Atterbury, IN in which some AZ shooters did well.

But for the largest precision shoot in the western hemisphere, your Arizona Rifle Team, sponsored by Phoenix Rod & Gun Club High Power Division, will be heading to Camp Perry for the CMP-organized National Matches in about a week! I will be reporting on that!

If anyone wants to learn about any type of organized shooting, post or PM, I'll get you pointed in the right direction! We have two beginner classes in NRA/CMP style High Power Rifle in October, as well as coaching of beginners at our club shoots and one-on-one coaching available.

Poole
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

What do you recommend for someone who would be new to competitive rifle shooting?

I've never been to PRGC but I'm not too far away from it at my current location.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

go watch several shoots and see what you like. Look at PRGC's calender, they have a 3-position/3-distance NRA/CMP-style high power (usually 80-shot, sometimes called "across the course or XTC") every month and a 500yd prone/F-class once a month. They have smallbore (.22 LR at 50 & 100yds) twice a month and some .22 LR at steel shoots 2 or more times per month. Rio Salado has that kinda stuff plus highpower silhoutte (steel animals to 500m) and smallbore silhouette (miniature animals to 100m for .22) they have 2 gun and 3 gun action shooting. Ben Avery has 1000 yd prone almost every weekend. Long Range Tactical precision (sniper rifle type shooting) there is a monthly at Rio Salado but the best attended in the state is at Cowtown.

Plan on attending the High Power Rifle beginner's clinic in October, Rio will have one, so will CMP at Ben Avery.

NRA/CMP is all AR-15 from 200 300 and 500 or 600 yds 10 or 20 shots per distance, sometimes rapid fire sometimes slow, stages are standing, sitting or prone (more info on my webpage). sometimes we run that match all at 200yds, that is great for as-issued or C&R rifles. Prone is the 500 yard stage repeated 3 times. 1000yds is the same thing only twice as much fun. a scoped bolt action is perfect for F-class. Silhouette is all standing, scoped hunting rifle or heavy barrel. Smallbore is for olympic rifles, except the steel stuff at PRGC that is for 10/22s. 2-gun, 3-gun is mostly AR-15 but bring anything, 3 yards to 300, usually under 50yds. Long Range precision is heavy bolt actions and light wallets after buying a scope, distances from 100 to 1000 from strange positions and props, different every time.

what have you got? what is your personality? do you like speed or precision?

Poole
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

4-Aug may or may not be 80-shot at PRGC, the match director will be driving back from Camp Perry
11-Aug will be 500yd prone come watch it. unless you have scoped heavy barrel bolt action with bipod and a 200yd zero (come up 8 moa) in that case, bring 80 rds and plan on shooting it!
19-Aug will be a 30-shot 200yd beginner-friendly as-issued or C&R shoot come shoot it.

Poole

full disclosure: I'm a past officer and current some-time match director (rifle and pistol divisions) at PRGC https://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

I didn't catch you had replied already or I would have responded sooner.

I don't really have a preference, just looking to have fun and I think either would be. I'm not looking to be super competitive or anything. I also don't want to drop a bunch of money on a new gun/accessories at the moment til I get my school loans paid off.

Don't own any bolt actions except a Mosin and a .22lr FVSR that I bought years ago and never did anything with.

I've just got the standard AR's. Only magnification I have are a fixed 2.5x and a fixed 4x scope. None of them have match grade barrels or anything like that however. I do want to do a more precision oriented .223 or 6.5 grendel build though. What does "as-issued" mean exactly? The only upper I currently have not on an SBR is a 16" dissipator style upper.

I should be able to make the High Power shooting clinc at RIo in October so I'll look at signing up.

I'll definitely have to go check out some of the matches. I had my lower back fused about 5 years ago and extended prone shooting isn't all that comfortable anymore so I'd probably stay away from the prone only stuff.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Do you know of a website with schedules in other parts of the state?

Down here in the SE corner the Sierra Vista Range has a number of regular events, you can find their schedule HERE.