Here are the NRA/CMP & precision style shooting events at PRGC, Rio Salado & Ben Avery for October.
Always bring eye & ear protection and check the club calendar before heading to the range. All weekend shoots are open to everyone. Most shoot fees are $15.
We always take turns alternating shooting and working targets.
All of these are fun club-based shoots open to all, we call them matches or competitions and some of the best shooters in the country attend (and teach all you new folks!) These shoots are informal and don’t report scores to NRA unless noted, so come shoot with us!
• 6-Oct, Sat, 8AM high Power 80-shot “across the course” 200/300/500yd standing, sitting, prone at PRGC
• 6-Oct, Sat, 8AM Prone/F-class 600yd High Power rifle at BASF
• 7-Oct, Sun, 0800 120 shot smallbore prone 50/100yds at PRGC
• 7-Oct, Sun, 0730, 30-shot 2-position C&R/M1/As-issued (beginner friendly) at PRGC
• 13-Oct, Sat 7AM Long Range Precision at Cowtown by AZLRPS (advance entry usually required)
• 14-Oct, Sun NRA bullseye pistol three 90-shot matches at 25 & 50 yds at PRGC
• 16-22-Oct, CMP Western Games at Ben Avery
• 20-21-Oct NRA bullseye pistol State Championships six 90-shot matches at 25 & 50 yds at PRGC
• 20-Oct, Sat, 8:30AM high Power 80-shot “across the course” 200/500yd standing, sitting, prone at RSSC
• 21-Oct, Sun, 9:30AM High Power Rifle Silhouette 200-300-385-500m standing at RSSC
• 27-28-Oct Prone/F-class 600yd High Power rifle state championships at BASF
• 28-Oct, Sun, 0730, 30-shot 2-position C&R/M1/As-issued (beginner friendly) at PRGC
• 28-Oct, Sun, RSSC calendar reports that the clinic is cancelled.
500/600/1000 yd Prone and F-class
Three 20-shot strings plus sighters
In this match, we have 20 minutes to fire 20 shots for record, usually preceded by a few practice, or sighter shots. We do this 3 times, so bring 70 or 80 rounds.
Prone shooters use a shooting coat and sling and shoot an AR-15, M1A or M1 Service rifle they use in XTC or an “olympic” style match Rifle with very fancy aperture iron sights.
F-class allows bipod or sandbags and a big scope. You still lie on your shooting mat but you don’t need the sling or coat. A heavy barreled Varmint rifle or tactical type bolt action or even an AR type will work just fine. (lightweight hunting rifles heat up too fast for a 20 shot string to be pleasant).
If you want to try this, zero your rifle at 200yds on a public range, then come up about 8moa. The target is 30” black on a 6’ square cardboard. You’ll be on paper and can correct with your sighter shots.
If you have a heavy barrel, are comfortable shooting at 100 or 200 yards and your scope has adjustment knobs, you can probably dive right in and shoot this game! Or come watch once first.
If you want to try 1000 yd at Avery, I strongly recommend you shoot a 500yd shoot at one of the clubs to get that zero, then use a ballistic table to find your 1000yd zero. The Long Range target is 44” black on a 6’ square cardboard. Get your shots on paper and can correct to the X-ring with your sighter shots.
Until you shoot a 500yd at the clubs, I’d recommend you come watch one of these Avery 1000yd shoots once first before you try it.
See http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/LR-Fclass-Rifle.html for more info.
“Across the course” The 3-distance, 3-position, 2-speed event
Conventional High Power Rifle, often called “National Match” or “Regional Match” or “Across the Course” (course of fire that is) or “XTC” consists of 88 shots.
• 200yd slow fire standing: 20-shots + 2 sighters in 22 minutes
• 200yd rapid fire sitting: two 10-shot strings, 1 minute each, + 2 sighters
• 300yd * rapid fire prone: two 10-shot strings, 70 seconds each, + 2 sighters
• 600yd ** slow fire prone: 20-shots + 2 sighters in 22 minutes
AR-15 is perfect for this, so is M1 or M1A. Bring 2 or more mags or clips. You should have a sling that you can wrap around your arm when shooting sitting and prone. Wear long sleeves and bring a mat or carpet to lie on prone. A spotting scope or binos to see the marked target and a pen to fill out your score card.
See http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/Service-HP-Rifle.html for more info.
I recommend you come watch a shoot or arrange for someone (like me) to coach you thru your first shoot.
(Due to range limitations, Rio shoots the rapid prone stage at 200yds, both Rio and PRGC shoot the 600 yd stage at 500yds)
As-issued – Milsurp - M1 - C&R - Vintage Military Bolt Action
30-shots plus sighters.
This is a very beginner-friendly reduced distance version of XTC. All shots at 200 yds, the target is 12” circle on a 6’ sheet of cardboard. Bring 60 or 80 or more shots, some shoots are 30 shots, some are 50-shots, plus sighters.
Standing, Sitting and Prone stages, some slow fire (1 carefully aimed shot per minute) or rapid fire (10 shots in 80-seconds). Bring 2 or more mags or clips. You should have a sling that you can wrap around your arm when shooting sitting and prone. Wear long sleeves and bring a mat or carpet to lie on prone. A spotting scope or binos to see the marked target and a pen to fill out your score card.
You can bring any modern military style rifle, AR’s are great. Or you can bring a milsurp. An M1 Garand, Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, Mosin, K31 etc.
If you want to learn how to shoot NRA/CMP high power these are great for beginners. All shooting at 200 yds, no 300 or 500yd stages makes things easier.
Tactical Long Range Precision
Probably the fastest growing shooting sport in this decade. Its sort of a “sniper rifle” shoot that emphasizes first shot hits under time constraints at non-standard distances on steel targets from bizarre and unconventional firing positions. Rio Salado calls theirs “4 peaks tactical” Cowtown calls is AZLRPS.
See https://www.facebook.com/AZLRPRS/ for the shoots at Cowtown.
PRGC is the home of serious bullseye in AZ.
50 yards slow fire and 25 yards timed fire (5 shots in 20 sec) and rapid fire (5 shots in 10 sec).
We shoot 3 strings of 90-shots (30 at each speed above) first using a .22 pistol, then any centerfire pistol, then a .45 pistol. All one handed.
Tuesday night 6PM we also run a single 90 shot match or 60 shot international.
Shoot good ya’ll!
Post, pm or email questions!
Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
This is the forum to use to discuss formal, scheduled events. Please include plenty of details.
1 post • Page 1 of 1